free website stats program Mpg | Harley Davidson Forums

Mpg

gunnut

Any one know how many miles per liter I should be getting out of my wide glide?I know I can get 200 mile on a full tank,with a bit left over,but I cant do the maths,and I dont have a clue what the official MPG rateing is,for an imperial gallon.You see my problem with the difference between US gallon and quarts,imperial gallon,and liters??I dont ride hard and fast,(crashed that out of me years ago)and a road trip I'm planning this year to tour Germany needs fuel costs to be worked into the guesstimate for the trip cost.Thanks guys,

Just type in "conversion chart for liquids" on your browser. Some of them will convert it for you. Good luck.

Personally I wouldn't mess with the math at least to try to convert the estimated mileage given by HD.

Fill the tank, ride at least 100 miles, fill the tank again then divide the miles ridden by the number of imperial gallons it took to fill the tank. This will give you a good idea for your bike and the way you ride.

I get right on 50 mpg on my Wide Glide on the highway but that is unladen and not riding it hard, rarely over 65 mph. City driving is more like high 30's and I typically average 45 or so when I do some of both.

I have 99 FXDWG I get about 45 - 48 MPG or about 250 Km to a tank. thats ussally about 55 MPH.

My bike has a high flow air breather and is mostly stock.

I sure wish the world could come together on measurements. I don't care which one, but JUST one.:(

I work on about 10 miles to the litre for both my 1992 softail custom and my 94 wide glide however when touring together both bikes tend to take between 8 and 9 litres to 100 miles the wide glide seems to take a wee bit more fuel than the softail both are fitted with mikuni hsr carbs wide glide done last year and did not really affect its fuel consumption wide glid had been fitted with a custom set of wheels with a 16" wheel at the front
when touring we tend to stay around legal speeds even on the german autobhan we stay between 70 and 80 mph
Be aware that it is an offence to run out of fuel on the autobahn and the fine is a big one that has to be paid on the spot so dont run out
I hope this helps

Brian

Any one know how many miles per liter I should be getting out of my wide glide?I know I can get 200 mile on a full tank,with a bit left over,but I cant do the maths,and I dont have a clue what the official MPG rateing is,for an imperial gallon.You see my problem with the difference between US gallon and quarts,imperial gallon,and liters??I dont ride hard and fast,(crashed that out of me years ago)and a road trip I'm planning this year to tour Germany needs fuel costs to be worked into the guesstimate for the trip cost.Thanks guys,

Imperial gal = 1.2 US gal.

Imperial gal = 4.55 ltrs.

Imperial gal = 4.8 qts.

US gal = 3.79 ltrs.

Liter = 1.057 qts.

Convert for Windows

TQ

I sure wish the world could come together on measurements. I don't care which one, but JUST one.:(

I agree. I have an American made car that is 1/2 metric and 1/2 US standard. What a pain to be under that thing and not knowing what size your looking at or need.

Back