free website stats program MPG Question for the Techies | Harley Davidson Forums

MPG Question for the Techies

martysnarf

I have read all the threads in the Tech Forum about MPG, and I have not found a specific answer to what I need to know, so I am posting here because it is Touring-model-specific, and I am hoping Smitty, Glider, Hobbit or others might be able to shed some light on this.

When I bought my RK in '05, the stock engine got about 45 MPG when I picked it up at the dealer. After the break-in period, I swapped to the SE air cleaner, slip-ons and the appropriate dowlnoad. My mileage dropped to about 35 MPG, and has remained there since. My question is- is this to be expected? Does a Stage-1 mod typically drop your mileage about 10 MPG?

I am asking because the new '09 Touring models claim 54 MPG. If I do the Stage-1 mod on it, can I realistically expect about 44 MPG?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated- as always.

THANKS!!

Upgrades typically shouldn't lower your MPG significantly, but do somewhat.
I believe it's more the action of the right wrist that is knocking it down even further with the new additions.

The lean stock mixtures will deliver good power and good MPG but suffer in the respect of more heat and sometimes running problems like pinging/surging etc.

I find the #'s off some i have never seen 54 MPG on my 08 RKC even before any changes 42-44 is best i have gotten before or after i typically get 42-44 depending on what gas station i stop at

Yeah BudWhite- I question those MPG quotes in the specs myself as well. Seems a bit of a stretch to get 54 MPG. There is no question that the engine runs MUCH better and cooler after the upgrade; it's SO worth it. I am not that heavy-handed on the throttle, but around here in MD, if you aren't doing 80 on the Beltway and the Interstate to keep up with traffic, you are going to get killed. People around here drive like MANIACS, so running 75-80 mph is a necessity, and certainly contributes to lower MPG.

I wonder why mine dropped so much? Guess I'll monitor the difference much closer when I get a new scoot, and see how it pans out.

Thanks to all for the info- I sincerely appreciate it!!

Your EFI might be running rich for some reason.
In 2005 I did the 95 inch big bore kit on my '04 Classic along with SE 203 cams, K&N air cleaner and slip ons. I expected to drop in mpg; but lo and behold it is at least as good as it was stock. It is usually in the high 40's mpg. I can get 300-325 kms on a tank usually.

One thing for sure, if you are pushing a headwind, that kills your mpg on a touring bike. It seems that pushing a big fairing into a strong headwind just eats gas.

Rod

I find the #'s off some i have never seen 54 MPG on my 08 RKC even before any changes 42-44 is best i have gotten before or after i typically get 42-44 depending on what gas station i stop at

As with the cars, those figures posted are for comparative purposes and very few get those actual figures in real life on real roads. Matter of fact, I think they are EPA estimates and we all know what that means. :D

I have been reading and reading about all the Stage-1 stuff, and I THINK I've got most of it- but just to make sure...

If I go out and buy my new bike, new slip-ons, and a SE air cleaner, then order a TFI and install them all, I can SKIP the download at the dealer altogether? Is that correct? How does it know what kind of pipes you have, and how does it adjust accordingly??

Sorry if this is redundant; there's a TON of posts about all this and keeping it straight is a bit confusing!! :panic

I have been reading and reading about all the Stage-1 stuff, and I THINK I've got most of it- but just to make sure...

If I go out and buy my new bike, new slip-ons, and a SE air cleaner, then order a TFI and install them all, I can SKIP the download at the dealer altogether? Is that correct?

Sorry if this is redundant; there's a TON of posts about all this and keeping it straight is a bit confusing!! :panic

You got it right, no dealer download with the TFI. Only thing you forfeit without the download is the higher rev limit of 6200 which isn't good for the engine any way.

Got it- THANKS! I am still reading some of the archived posts, and it is making more sense. I am not one that likes to constantly tinker with the fuel, and that's why I got rid of my PC3. Sounds like this TFI is similar, but with less tinkering. Still researching...

Back