free website stats program Moving over to the Touring Section! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Moving over to the Touring Section!

Congrats! on the FLHX! You will love it,I just recently upgraded from a 98 fxstc to 2011 FLHX.....I now have to force myself to take the softail out for a ride every now and then!!

That would be moving UP not "over".:D

Not at all sir, I have ridden about 70,000 miles on the new touring chassis and tyres and they are indeed superb machines-as indeed are their forebears.
I have come the other direction from touring models to Dyna.
What I wanted was a raw motorcycle (difficult in these modern machines), basic, no frills, just the motor, seat, and a fuel supply and enuf brakes to back up the engine braking inherent to harleys.
I commend the original poster on his choice-but having owned models from all the harley range with the exception of the sportster-I say they are all superb.
Yes ,the touring range can rock in the bends, yes the sporties/dynas/softails can tour.
Over my 40 years of motorcycling I have run tourers/full on italian sports bikes/and some machines from the rising sun.
At the heart of every HD mosickle is that motor-yes you can wrap it in various modes but at the end of the day, it works its magic-load it up with plastic fairing/bags/stereo it rocks, ride it stripped to the basics and it puuuuuuuuulllls ya along on a wave of torque.
I am gradually trying to inject more raw attitude into my Dyna-but she is stock at the moment and my license is in danger as it is.
So have I traded down? NO SIR! I have gone from the cocoon of of wind protection and stereo to the elemental product.
Safe roads to all harley riders-one harley is not superior to another -they are all harleys and impart the smile with evvry mile.

I don't know about anyone else but i really hate my vivid black Ultra Classic...so does my wife.....sarcasm!!

For two up riding the elefants are good, my lady friend and I enjoyed many miles and countries on my Electras and we went along some hairy roads on the lumps and they aquitted themselves well.When the weather is adverse, sure the glides are good to be on.
But all the time I had em, something was missing, when my lady and I went different ways I continued to cover many miles on my glide but that something that was missing feeling got stronger. I bought a 91 Softail Heritage stripped into a bobber and used that for solo sorties and weekend trips; Then I found the trips on the bobber became tours and the glide stayed in the garage. If the circumstances were right I might have swapped the glide for a RoadKing, but I wanted a back to the roots bike.
Comfort is good sure, but motorcycling is never truly comfortable and looking back over the years it was stopping for breaks that brought me into contact with people-with my glides I tended to push on, and when stopped folks seemed to think I was a well heeled traveller and were less inclined to open a conversation.
With my more basic Dyna folks stop and talk and I face the elements and the adventure is enhanced.We can surround ourselves with all the modern conveniences but often we hanker for the simple life.
All touring model riders will rejoice in their batwings and fairng lowers on a wet and cold ride, all Dyna/sporty riders will rejoice in the lighter handling and extra punch from their motors on the open curving and undulating roads.
I have been fortunate to cover many miles on different machines in all weathers, and I always come back to the basic bike as my choice.
Just me and the bike against the elements.I still enjoy the sight of a big glide making majestic progress-but I don't miss mine-maybe if I had the money I would have a glide and a Dyna-but the Dyna would get the most use.
Enjoy your ride whatever your choice and keep it rubber side down,safe roads and good weather to all.

Back