Mounting saddlebags on a roadster, do I need the brackets?

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by supervetteracer, Jul 19, 2010.

1. supervetteracer

supervetteracer Member

I have a new pair of bags. Looks like they are going to fit fine. I could tie the strings around various accesable parts on teh bike. I'd rather not spend the additional $80 for two little flimsy peices of metal. Do i need them or can I ride with the bags mounted alone?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Spend the money and get the needed brackets or you may be riding down the road and one of the bags will pass you up.:D

3. supervetteracer

supervetteracer Member

They would be tied on pretty well. And under the seat. Looks like they don't even touch the pipes. You sure I need them?

4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Unless you want rub marks on them I would use the brackets:s

5. vpats

vpats Member

to add a one word answer:

YES!

6. ms99

ms99 Member

Actually - No

Check out these bags from Boss Bags: BOSS BAGS 27 Bags 1-888-853-9975

Work great, very quick disconnect, and very minimal almost invisible leave-behind hardware.

Have them on my 05 XL1200C for 5yrs and are great.

Mike

7. vpats

vpats Member

Those Boss Bags look great, however, if you'll re-read the original post, the man said he already has a "new" set of bags. Hence, my answer remains "yes." The qualifying factor, that the bags are the normal throw over type, bag supports are a positive addition.

8. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Soft saddle bags will sag after a bit of use and to prevent the bags from fouling the rear suspension then support rails are required
    The purpous of the support rails is not to take the load of weight but to keep soft bags away from the suspension wheel brake and belt
    i cant think of a good reason for not fitting them

Brian