free website stats program mounting bike left or right | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

mounting bike left or right

I was taught, by a motor cop, to always get on and off on the right side. When getting off, if the kickstand fails, the bike falls away, and out from under you. If It fails and you get off on the left, it can fall on your leg and take you down, and maybe pin or hurt you.

In reality, I test the kickstand by rocking the weight on it a bit before getting off. I then mount and dismount on whichever side will work the best, depending on how and where I am parked.

Enjoy,
Rich P

From the left. Like others have said, it's the lower side. Seems like the "right" way to me. Guess you could leap on any way you want. Maybe like the old cowboy movies where the guy leaps onto the saddle across the rear of the horse.:D

I was taught, by a motor cop, to always get on and off on the right side. When getting off, if the kickstand fails, the bike falls away, and out from under you. If It fails and you get off on the left, it can fall on your leg and take you down, and maybe pin or hurt you.

In reality, I test the kickstand by rocking the weight on it a bit before getting off. I then mount and dismount on whichever side will work the best, depending on how and where I am parked.

Enjoy,
Rich P

And also they are getting off their bikes farther away from passing traffic.

we were taught in our Riders Course to mount on the left side. They said to grab the handlebars, grab the front brake on the right & swing your right leg over. They would watch for this everytime we mounted up.
Even had a motorcycle cop that was 1 of our trainers, of course he has to teach the course as directed. So I do it the way I was taught, from the left side

I'm with Hobbit, kickstand is on the left, bike leans to the left, left side is the low side, much easier to mount (especially for a geezer).

Same here - bike's leaning Left so it's easier to swing Right leg over & raise...

Last edited:
is that after the double flick flack somersault as you approch the bike :laugh

Yes, ... run to the bike from behind, jump, flick flack, whirl, twist, .... on the seat.
That was before ...
Now that my spine is bad, i nead a confort seat, a driver back rest, and fournales rear shocks :D

Low side, high side? Come on girls, from the ground to the highest point it is the same no matter what side you stand on when you measure it... I'm 6'4", unless you measure me from my left side... huh?

Back