free website stats program Mounting a Guardian Bell | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mounting a Guardian Bell

I've never understood the "guardian bell". According to the old guys, and I mean 80 year old ex Indian and HD riders, there was no guardian bell, nor was there anything to ward off road gremlens as it is told.

A bell was hung on a guys bike by his friends, to warn others that he had wrecked or dropped his motorcycle and to be aware.

2 bb
+1 . The best practice would be to ride sober and practice safe riding and ride with like minded people.

2blackbelts, oldiron, you guys are missing the point.
Is there really gremlins that will make a biker have a bad day, of course not (that we know of anyway). The bells are just a "something" that are in vogue. Much like the those 80 year old drivers who wore extreme gauntlet gloves with tassels hanging down looking like a 1930's Hollywood cowboy or in the 40's and 50's those nifty little "biker" caps that are the fashion rage with the some alternate lifestyle fashionistas today - big back in the day, now not so much.

Like this thread, the bell craze will pass until the next fashion statement comes along.

2blackbelts, oldiron, you guys are missing the point.
Is there really gremlins that will make a biker have a bad day, of course not (that we know of anyway). The bells are just a "something" that are in vogue. Much like the those 80 year old drivers who wore extreme gauntlet gloves with tassels hanging down looking like a 1930's Hollywood cowboy or in the 40's and 50's those nifty little "biker" caps that are the fashion rage with the some alternate lifestyle fashionistas today - big back in the day, now not so much.

Like this thread, the bell craze will pass until the next fashion statement comes along.
I dont think so. I`m sure (I think) that most dont believe in road gremlins and use the bell just to be part of the group but I`ve had co-workers who swore by the use of the bell.

A lot of people swear that Elvis is alive too. And a lot more things are based on faith and belief that something is true or right.

I'm with Butch here. It's more a fad, like kissing the bricks at Indy. Does it really help? Who's gonna prove it wrong?

Kiss bricks at Indy or going to a major sporting even in any major city...no explanation required...just be thankful for the opportunity. To me the bell is a sound reminder of what riding is all about! :D

To me, since the protocol is for a friend to buy you yours, it is an indication that somebody cares. Kinda like a collar on a dog in "Lady and the Tramp" :laugh

Enjoy,
Rich P

Just Hang the bell. Ride safe and rack up the miles. Come back here often and share your road time with us. I actually hear mine at times. :rider

Honestly, I really don't care what others do, or the reason they do it. If you feel good hanging a bell on your bike, by all means, please do so. Bottom line, the only person who should care is yourself.

I've never been one into fads like this, gimmicks, or what have you.

You like it...go for it.

2 bb

Back