free website stats program Motorcycle Tire Reviews | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Tire Reviews

I have used every tire change the Dunlop (Harley) D402 tire. I have gotten one front equal to 3 rear tires. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to use an automobile tire on the rear. I have heard of people using car tires on bikes like the Valkerie.
Any thoughts to share? Thinking seriously about trying it on the next tire change.
Thanks for you input!

Jlott355

I have used every tire change the Dunlop (Harley) D402 tire. I have gotten one front equal to 3 rear tires. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to use an automobile tire on the rear. I have heard of people using car tires on bikes like the Valkerie.
Any thoughts to share? Thinking seriously about trying it on the next tire change.
Thanks for you input!

Jlott355

Its called the "Darkside" and some riders will go to the wall defending their right to use a car tire on their bikes.

Might want to take a look at YouTube for videos of how a car tire handles on a motorcycle. The amount of lift the outside of the tire shows when in a leaned over position is sobering, as is the small remaining contact patch.

Its "your ride, you decide".

Weighing the difference in mileage against the possibility of ending up on the pavement does not seem to justify a car tire. Like SilverFoXD said "your ride, you decide"

I solved my mileage problem (with 402s) by removing the wheel weights and installing a set of centramatics. This set of tires on my Ultra Classic has 8K on the rear tire and believe it will go an easy 5K more.

Most of my riding is solo, not loaded heavy, long distance at high speeds (70-85 range)

Weighing the difference in mileage against the possibility of ending up on the pavement does not seem to justify a car tire. Like SilverFoXD said "your ride, you decide"

Straight to the point seadogbrr. I am in total agreement. I for one am not a engineer so I would not be willing to experiment. Especially when all you have is 2 wheels.....

How bout trikes? seems like the front tire wears out ratfer quickly...and since dont have to lean dont have a problem on that respect anyone?

How bout trikes? seems like the front tire wears out ratfer quickly...and since dont have to lean dont have a problem on that respect anyone?

I ride a 2011 Tri-Glide Ultra Classic that I bought new from the dealer.

I replaced the front tire at 32,066, we were taking a 12 day rode trip and I didn't want to take a chance on a front tire.

I am replacing the front tire now with 60,500 miles, we hit a deer last week.
The tire had a 4" cut from the front fender that was not very deep but with the mileage on it why take a chance.

The rear tires are still original.

Larry

I ride a 2011 Tri-Glide Ultra Classic that I bought new from the dealer.

I replaced the front tire at 32,066, we were taking a 12 day rode trip and I didn't want to take a chance on a front tire.

I am replacing the front tire now with 60,500 miles, we hit a deer last week.
The tire had a 4" cut from the front fender that was not very deep but with the mileage on it why take a chance.

The rear tires are still original.

Pay special attention to your rear brake pads, replaced mine twice already.

Larry

Back