free website stats program motorcycle skills test - indiana | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

motorcycle skills test - indiana

It seems a lot worse than it is. It helped me a lot by practicing. Here in MN a cone cost 2 pts, a foot down is 6 pts (FYI if you put your foot down make it count don't just tap it quick use it while it's down), Not sure what the deduction was for stalling the bike but they took some points off and you dropped it, it was a automatic Fail.

thanks for the feedback. I went out to the test site today and tried some stuff on the sporty....not to bad, but did have some difficulty with the cones. I may actually take the test on my friends yamaha 750. I did find this info on the test administers website....what do you think?

What does the motorcycle test involve?

* Sharp left turn inside the boudaries of a 90 degree (square) corner that is 6 feet wide.
* Smooth, non-skidding stop with the front tire inside a box that measures 5 feet wide by 3 feet deep.
* Weave through 5 cones that are set 12 feet apart with a 2 foot offset.
* Make a U-turn inside of a box that is either 20 or 24 feet wide (depending on engine size).
* Stop within a prescribed distance from a speed of 12-20 mph.
* Swerve to avoid a 6 foot obstacle line while remaining within a 6 1/2 foot boundary, at a speed of 12-20 mph.

That sounds about like our test here in GA. We don't have to do the cones though.

Your right, sounds about the same.

I had signed up with the DDS and did the 3 day class, it was the best $200.00 i have ever spent. I learned alot of stuff and had a blast at the same time.
When i was completed i had received a card in the mail to take to the DDS and 20 minutes later i walked out and was good to go.

Good luck and have some fun Ash!!

Your right, sounds about the same.

I had signed up with the DDS and did the 3 day class, it was the best $200.00 i have ever spent. I learned alot of stuff and had a blast at the same time.
When i was completed i had received a card in the mail to take to the DDS and 20 minutes later i walked out and was good to go.

Good luck and have some fun Ash!!

That's exactly how I did it. Had a blast during the class like you said and then got a severe case of "test anxiety" when the maneuvers counted and barely passed!

thanks a bunch guys for all the input. I spoke with ABATE of indiana who conducts the test for the BMV. He was a really nice guy, and told me exactly what the test would consist of, and which side of the cones to start on ect. It was nice to know that if your bike is bigger than 500cc, you get 24ft instead of 20ft for the U-turn, which makes a big difference. He also added that he would "suggest" using the yamaha 750 maxim instead of the sporty, saying that the yamaha is less top heavy and a bit more forgiving which I would agree with. Anyway, going out there to practice tonight, then take the test in the morning, thanks again!

Back