free website stats program Motorcycle repair course question | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle repair course question

gadzooks

Has anyone taken any of the home-study motorcycle repair courses to know if they are any good or a waste of money? I've seen several advertised in the bike mags and looked at a few online, but I have no clue if they are worth the investment. Anybody know anything about them or if they are any good?

Why would you pay for a motorcycle repair course when
you have one here for free:D

nice one Steve.. he he he

I took through the mail in the previous century before internets and all that good stuff.

tbh, it wasnt bad, got a good general idea of what's what on a bike.
Pretty poor support, but again that was way back in the day.. I am sure
with emails and videos, you can get questions answered much easier.

As an example, every bike manufacturer builds brake calipers in a different way...
but the basics are the same: pads, pistons, diaphrams, fluid.

Home study courses will give you the basics.

I would defintely suggest buying a parts bike ( or two ), that way you
have something to play with without worrying about messing up your main ride.

I found it helpful.. as a career move... not enough.

A factory manual and the good folks here at HD Talking will take you a long way providing you have the basic mechanical skills to preform the work.

many years ago when taking the motorcycle safety course, one of the instructors also gave a course at the local adult school on motorcycle repair. It was geared almost entirely towards Harley Davidson's. For the heck of it. you might check your local adult schools....

depends on what you are taking it for.. I you are new to bikes and want general knowledge then it could be helpful so could the self help section on this site. I you are taking it to apply for a job at a dealership you need a factory approved course that are offered at many tech schools around the country.

I took one of those course's. Mostly online. It was helpful although basic. The tool's I Got from them I allready had. ie; ratchets, sockets, multi screwdriver, continuity tester, electric multi tester with some instruction on how to use it, and a tool box to keep it all in. On completion of the course, I got a patch certified motorcycle technision, wo who! This site will help you with any question's. Tear into a parts bike if you have room in your garage. Try to make it run. the guy's here can help. I am still no good with electrical components. wireing is ugh. a pain for me. A course could help the right person though. I thought it would help me more

All you ever need right here unless you are looking to become a wrench for a living. Then I would go to a credited school.

Last edited:
Back