free website stats program Motorcycle insurance? | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle insurance?

twicecam

What kind of Motorcycle insurance do you have and what are the rates? The reason I am asking is I have insurance through Markel American and I have noticed that a lot of people base thier interest in joining HOG because of the one time free towing, my policy includes five calls for anything I need and they pay up to 100 dollars per call, including out of gas, bring me oil, flat tire or towing.:bigsmiley12:

I have the same insurance as Hobbit but on only the Ultra. Insured with Harley's own insurer. Was the only company that wanted to touch the bike as it was "not rated yet" when I bought it.

If there's one thing I've learned about insurance, car or bike, over the years, it's not what they claim to cover in the pretty brochures, but rather what actually happens when you have a claim.

My experience in Calif has been with State Farm for the past 20 years, and when it comes to the bike, their attitude has always been "go get it fixed and send us the bill." The only exception to this was about 6 months ago when I had a claim for a broken drive belt. The belt appeared to have been cut, approx. 3/4 of the way thru, and I filed a claim on comprehensive, for vandalism. Understandably, they wanted to see the belt. The adjuster agreed with me, and they covered the repair with a hundred dollar deductible. Bottom line...there may be a cheaper policy out there, but SF has always come through when it counted.

Just my opinion, though. I don't work for SF!

I have Progressive and , knock on wood, haven't had to experience any claim service or roadside assist. All the feedback I've ever seen on them has been pretty positive. Premiums are around $500 for a 2008 Street Glide, 50 year old rider, no tickets.

I have used Dairyland (Sentry)for the past 10 years but with the new Ultra, they wanted 300 more than my 90 FLHS, so I shopped around and decided to go with State Farm as they have been my auto and home insurer for ever. They gave me good rates at under 700 a year fully covered both bikes with good driving record and no violations. I feel good having Statefarm as insurer but still hope I never need them. Also, my Statefarm policy includes towing and road service for an extra 24 dollars a year.

Using Geico, inexpensive around $360/year, however have never filed a claim so I can't say whether or not I am satisfied:shock

Mine is $76 per year thru Progressive, with safe driver(was $138 last year),-----But I do not have medical(kept insurance when I retired). All I have is liability-Full coverage would have been $1700.
I was wondering if the low rate was a hook, until the $76 bill came in the mail.

And I wouldn't have saved a ton by switching to Geico!

I had Ryder for a couple years. Never put a claim in. When I called Geico, I saved about $200.00 p/yr. I'm paying $242.00 p/yr for a 2007 Sporty. I'm 67 yrs old and married. By the way, I have $250.00 deductible instead of $500.00 for my premium. You might want to give them a call. Like the man said, It makes a difference how they pay when you file a claim.

Everyone is throwing out prices they pay for their insurance, but no one is saying what their liability limits are. That has a major impact on your premium cost, and if you carry only the state-mandated minimum, you're risking your own financial security if you get into an accident that is your fault. When shopping for insurance, just make sure you are comparing "apples to apples" as far as what kind of coverage each company is selling, what's excluded from coverage, and what your limits are.

I'll get off my soapbox now........

Everyone is throwing out prices they pay for their insurance, but no one is saying what their liability limits are. That has a major impact on your premium cost, and if you carry only the state-mandated minimum, you're risking your own financial security if you get into an accident that is your fault. When shopping for insurance, just make sure you are comparing "apples to apples" as far as what kind of coverage each company is selling, what's excluded from coverage, and what your limits are.

I'll get off my soapbox now........

+1

My riding friends all think I pay too much to insure my bikes but I understand liabilities and I don't take any chances. I have 100,000 / 300,000 . The basic required would leave me feeling real insecure as almost any accident today if my fault could easily eat up the small limits of state required. I know it's unlikely that an accident would be my fault but why take the chance as it is always a remote possibility that it could happen. I do the same with my Cages.

Back