free website stats program Motorcycle Insurance | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Insurance

I wonder how much it would cost us if ALL motorists actually carried insurance? Even just liability.....
I think all areas will differ in price as well....I know that uninsured/ underinsured coverage (around here and in MS (I think)) can cost more than comp and/or collision. Too many people around here that don't carry insurance/ makes those responsible people pick up the extra tab...

Insurance companies would love for you to believe this. It isn't true. It's only a small percentage of drivers who are uninsured. 10 - 14 percent, depending on who you believe (probably less). Insurance companies never lose money.

Premiums have not been lowered in any area where mandatory coverage has been implemented by statute.

NJ is a mandatory insurance state and we still have a large % of the population that won't /don't carry it.

I live about 10 miles from Staten Island and I know once you go across the bridge, insurance rates will pretty much double. A buddy of mine just moved into NJ and
couldn't get over how much cheaper his car insurance is here than in NY. He's happy
that his insurance is ONLY $1700. (EDITED) I don't pay that much combined for my car and the bike.

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

I use Rider's Insurance, (been using them for decades), and my total policy for the '02 Sporty and the '03 Ultra with full coverage is less than $800 for the year.
I don't know how that stacks up against everybody else, but it's a welcome relief from my usual car insurance premiums, which are over 12K a year for our 4-wheeled vehicles.

$12,000 ??? You sure you don't mean $1200? I know Jersey is expensive, but that's unimaginable.

NJ is a mandatory insurance state and we still have a large % of the population that won't /don't carry it.

I live about 10 miles from Staten Island and I know once you go across the bridge, insurance rates will pretty much double. A buddy of mine just moved into NJ and
couldn't get over how much cheaper his car insurance is here than in NY. He's happy
that his insurance is ONLY $1700. (EDITED) I don't pay that much combined for my car and the bike.

Percentage of uninsured motorists in New Jersey - 8%

Rates are higher because of theft and accident frequency, not uninsured/underinsured motorists.

I live in Texas (uninsured - 15%) and my premium is $500/yr for comprehensive coverage from Progressive.

I read about an insurance company that supplied transponders. The ins. rates were baed on what time of day you drove, the places that you drove and the transponder also told how fast you drove. I think that would be a good way to base your rates.

I read about an insurance company that supplied transponders. The ins. rates were baed on what time of day you drove, the places that you drove and the transponder also told how fast you drove. I think that would be a good way to base your rates.

I could go for that they would be bored watching the signal .. from nov 2nd till today its went 20 miles .. so my ins should go way down

Percentage of uninsured motorists in New Jersey - 8%

Rates are higher because of theft and accident frequency, not uninsured/underinsured motorists.

I live in Texas (uninsured - 15%) and my premium is $500/yr for comprehensive coverage from Progressive.

Higher rates of theft and accidents are related to, among other factors, the population of the state. While 8% sounds small, this is one of the most heavily populated states in the US (population per sq mile), therefore the actual NUMBER of unisured drivers is high. According to 2005 numbers, we have 8,717,925 people living here. 2007 numbers for Texas are 23,904,380. This is comparing the largest state in the contiguous states to one of the smallest. Consider also, that the majority of residents live in the northern half of the state.

don't get me wrong, I'm not defending it.. I can't stand it here and would love to move elsewhere. Family and job prevent that. :(

I personally don't want anything to do with any insurance company that can use even more information to justify dinging me in the wallet more than they do now. These insurance companies sell us down the road way too many times to explain their rates. They are not here for YOUR benefit. Transponders..... good grief! :newsmile100:
Ugly John

Insurance rates will vary alot from state to state then even county to county in a state, take NJ thier high cost stems from fradulent claim , population, (more motorist mean more likly to have a claim), unisured motorists, and if you live in a county with high auto theft you will pay more then a county that has less theft . When I lived in Essex co. Newark Nj I paid about $300. more on my bike then friends from Ocean county Soulth NJ.

One final thing, if you CHANGE insurance carriers, keep the "old" one for a month or two before terminating the policy...one time was thinking of switching to the "funny lizard with the n-i-c-e accent" promising a great rate...when I got the first bill it was 3 times what was quoted and carrier said I had to pay it because I was uninsured if not...I told him I had not cancelled my previous insurance and told him to take a...walk! :eam
You can't do that in Washington state. It's against the law to have more that one insurance policy on the same thing.

Back