free website stats program Motorcycle Insurance | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Insurance

I have Rider Insurance in NJ and pay $290 a year for my '99 Ultra, full coverage. Don't know if they insure in other states.

my insurance company will not renew my insurance on my Hayabusa when it due and told me they are going to raise the rates 25% on my Harley for God knows what reason. Was paying around 950 for both bikes for full coverage and clean driving record. I will be shopping for new coverage for both bikes

There's a lot more to insurance rates than points on your license and how old you are. Things that come into play include, local safety laws, where you keep your bike, weather in your area, theft statistics in your area, ETC. you just have to check around, and talk to people in your home area.

they claim because its a hd and over 1500 ccs im sure my age has soemthing to do with it to .. dont get me started

You guys got no right to complain. I live in Ontario and I pay $1200. No convictions or accidents and have been licensed since 1965.

I'm no insurance buff, but got some answers to questions I asked my agent 'bout, what insurance rate and discounts are based on...they have "hidden" payout and claim statistics (insurance companies also have a "gentlemans" agreement amongst them and rate schedule right down to the street/block where you live), calculate mileage, use (recreation or business), as well as the odds of you in an accident at various location or location(s) you ride, (which YOU may volunteer, so they add "risk exposure" based on the distance of ride and hazards along the way, especially long trips between the USA and say Canada if so inclined, so sometimes it pays not to "volunteer or advertise"!:bigsmiley29:

Insurance companies try to compete showing you the rates they charge you (makes it look like they are fighting among themselves). What they will not reveal (at least to the consumer anyway) is how well they deliver... i.e. monies to cover claims when actually needed or backdoor dealings amonst themselves to keep rates high (read "competitive")... by the way, they stopped giving dividends when they would "profit share" with their clients a long time ago). :bigsmiley19:

Imagine that, buying insurance based on their timely delivery of promises for services rendered, when in need, like you would pick an airline, bank or mail carrier. :newsmile09:

Oh yeah, my insurance State Farm, (comprehensive, collision, liability and uninsured motorist) with multi vehicle discount metric insurance for my 93 Katana 600 was $360 a year, the 04 Harley 1200 is $650 a year. :eam

Last edited:
Pay monthly to SF, comes to about $760 anually. Full coverage, over state min.... quoted cheaper by other companies, but i know that you get what you pay for. finding insurance for $30-$40 a month can make you feel good until you have to make a claim.....

OUCH MI just acrosse the pond from here why so High?

Good question Smitty. I'm 55, no tickets, no dui's, clean record. Progressive wants 731.00 a year for my 08 FXDF. Allstate wants 381.00. Go figure. Same coverage, 100/300 you know the deal. Is the difference location? I don't think so, or they would both work from the same figures. Here in Michigan we have to pay for catastrophe insurance. Katrina victims and alike. Cost - 123.00 a year. That's included in the above price. Does not make any sense. I'm now with SafeCo thru Harley. They are the only ones that would insure my bike last year so I could drive it home. I've been with StateFarm for over 30 years. Home, cars, life insurance with them. They want 780 a year for my FatBob. What a scam. Don't make no sense. And they would not insure me until I took took the riding test.

Well I know the cost of the bike has alot to do with insurance. Like Smitty said about me, your just across the border from me. I can't believe so cheap. Also here in Michigan, we are a no fault state.

We all pay a hidden add on for things like Katrina in our home and farm insurance.
And on the auto's and bike even if we do not live in big citys we have to pick up the cost so they can lower the city rate thats law in Wisconsin.
Progressive is the name on my policies but They do not do bike insurance they issue a policy but they buy it throught someone else. That could explain the difference.
As I said before my 97FB and 07 RG are just under 500 for both. I have no tickets or crashes

Ive noticed several members listing Proggresive as there insurer.Id like to simply give an insight for anyone involved in a Proggresive claim.My shop rescently signed a contract with Proggresive giving us direct access to there customers involved in an accident.We are now one of there "preffered shops".In this contract we agree to make, well lets say consessions for them in order to maintain there business.While this keeps us very busy, it is certainly not in the best interest of there customers.
When you make the call to Proggresive you "may" be told something like this..You should take your vehicle to shop A because it is our preffered shop and this is the only way we ca waranty the work.People, a statement such as this happens thousands of times daily by insurance companies and it is illegal.It is called steering and it is an attemp to save themselves money on a low balled repair.
Most states have enacted a right to repair law meaning reguardless of what shop an insurance company tells you to use you have the right to choose your own.In most cases the shop they suggest is the last one you should consider {unless of course its mine}.The shops offer the waranties NOT the insurance companies.
We are talking about government corruption on a grand scale when it comes to these vultures and it pays to ask many questions before talking to your insurer before making a claim.As for State Farm, the debacle after Katrina lead them to raise there rates in Florida even after the government gave billions in aid in agreement that insurers would not do so.This lead to an AG investigation uncovering fraud on a scale not concievable.

First Enron - - - Now State Farm / the Gramm connection !

I have started to check out some new carriers, I am finding a lot of the insurance co. do not cover your hospital bills , and you would need to make sure your primary health coverage will cover you in a accedent on your motorcycle , My health insurance does not cover for me ,It falls under (recreatonal clause) boats, atvs, motorcycle ect,and at the cost of $28,000 you would think that would not be a issue.So check out your policy and also look in to your heath insurance to see if you are covered.

Back