free website stats program Motorcycle crash report - Study findings | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle crash report - Study findings

Safehaven

I was reading about likely crash causes and came across this report from 2006 conducted in the greater Washington Area.

The report was the first large scale study since the (in)famous HURT report conducted ages ago.

You can read the full report here

but if you have a short attention span these were the main things to remember:

• The vast majority of fatalities occur during daylight hours, in dry weather. (obviously..)
  • Half of fatal crashes were single vehicle occurrences; no other vehicle was involved other than the motorcycles. When alcohol is involved, two-thirds of fatal crashes are single vehicle occurrences. (Makes me want to go out and practice my technique more often..)
  • A third of fatalities were motorcyclists who did not have a valid motorcycle endorsement. (This one scared me, this means that the same is most likely true for car drivers)

The Task Force concluded that, while there are multiple contributions to motorcycle
crashes that result in fatalities or serious injuries, it appears that the most important
factors are within the control of the rider. Efforts to reduce fatalities and serious injuries
should focus on rider skill and behavior.

Happy reading and stay safe out there!

Attachments

• mototaskforce.pdf
    135.2 KB · Views: 14
Good info Safehaven! Also, cages running into the rear of motorcycles happen quite often too. Keep your eyes in the rear view mirror when stopped and have a escape route just in case.

Great info, even if most of it is obvious if you've been riding for more than a week or so.

I also remember from the MSF BRC that a majority of the single motorcycle crashes happen to riders who have NO training or safety course experience at all. Self taught or a buddy showed them everything they need to know. Sometimes experience can be a harsh or even deadly teacher! Spending a couple days at a MSF or HD course is well worth it.

Also, wear a helmet. Check the studies on helmets and states without helmet laws. Fatalities rise.

True, most things in the report have gone around the block and came back looking all fresh :) I think it can't hurt to refresh our memories though.

A while ago I was convinced that rear-end scenario's were rare, but after reading more about it I'm starting to set up my escape routes religiously.

Thanks for the uplifting report.

Actually it is better than it could be. At least pointing the finger back at the rider means, we have some control. I could use some of that.
:(

Ya know, in the 37 years of being in the EMS field, I have seen ALOT. And unfortunately it will only get WORSE. There are so many more of us riding, and way to many cagers in to much of a hurry. Seems like this generation is all about the gimmee gimmee gimmee...I'm in a hurry...you OWE me....and outta my way.
WE, HAVE to be on the extra alert status every time we get on the bike. I'm getting to old to keep picking up the pieces anymore. But that's my job, and I'm sticking to it! :D

BRIAN

Back