free website stats program motorcycle cover over winter | Harley Davidson Forums

motorcycle cover over winter

i will be shortly putting my bike away for the winter, i keep it in a wooden shed & iv been considering getting a motorcycle cover to leave over the bike for a few months but would this be a bad idea as the bike will get condensation on it during the cold weather? what would be the effect if it had a cover & got lots of condensation & i didn't check it for a few months?

thanks in advance for your help & insight.

I kept mine in a metal shed with plywood froor using a cheap motorcycle cover over it over the winter with battery tender hooked up, I did not see any condensation build up on mine and didn't see any effect when Spring arrived, just take off the cover and it fires right up.

Do not use a plastic tarp. You want a indoor cover not an outdoor cover. It has to breath. An old bed sheet is fine. Even a good idea to run a fan to keep the air moving around.
kemo

I keep mine in a covered garage but the front of the garage is open to the elements, live in a condo with secure parking. Although it's chilly and the wind comes through the bike stays 100% dry. Even at that I cover it summer and winter with a vinyl motorcycle cover, however, the trick is to have one with a breathable air vent. You can usually pick up a decent one for around $100.00, I've been using mine for three years and no signs of exaggerated wear.

Ok I have to make this much harder.
MICE and rodents if you cover it in a shed you are likely going to have a few try to move in to your bike, they make a mess of things. They eat wires and seats.
Make sure the cat can get in by the bike.
If you do cover it lose fit and thing so it can let air flow around it

And shove some steel Wool up the pipes so the rodents dont nest in there:s

I have my bikes in 2 wooden sheds i usually throw a cover over the one in the workshop just in case there are any objects flying about what i use for a cover is a thick dust sheet
shed is fairly tight so no real access for mice etc but cat is out on patrol a lot just in case any come near
dog chases the badgers away but all they do is eat the slugs and snails
i had a mouse make a nice nest in a helmet before i had a cat and found a rat in one of the sheds built on to the house but last cat was good at killing rats i just hope this youngster is up to the job

Brian

I have my bikes in 2 wooden sheds i usually throw a cover over the one in the workshop just in case there are any objects flying about what i use for a cover is a thick dust sheet
shed is fairly tight so no real access for mice etc but cat is out on patrol a lot just in case any come near
dog chases the badgers away but all they do is eat the slugs and snails
i had a mouse make a nice nest in a helmet before i had a cat and found a rat in one of the sheds built on to the house but last cat was good at killing rats i just hope this youngster is up to the job

Brian

Objects flying around? not throwing things are you:s

It is a workshop i have hammers and cold chisels and lots of other stuff that i play with from time to time and with the best will in the world something at sometime may go flying
so the bike has a protective blanket just in case :p

Brian

Back