free website stats program Motorcycle auctions or other places to find a bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle auctions or other places to find a bike

bignew

I'm in the market for a new bike. I would like to find a good deal on a used bike like my old one but I'm not finding great deals. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting anything from an auction and how did you find out about it. I am reluctant to subscribe to some of the online sites without any input. In my current search I have used cycletrader, craigslist, ebay, and racing junk. One of the biggest things I have noticed are people who have bikes with 12K plus trying to sell a bike only a little off what a new one would cost and that is without any mods.

Thanks

I have bought 2 HD's off of ebay, have been pleased with both deals, saved some $$, and the bikes have been good deals. Just don't get in a hurry, ask questions of the seller, do your homework. Some dealers post new or near new bikes on ebay, my last one had 800 miles on it, made a heck of a deal on it last fall.

If you can hold off untill winter time prices would be cheaper. Have you tried looking in the for sale section of your local paper? Put the word out to all of your friends and at work that you are looking for a bike. That's how I found my first HD. Good luck.

You are correct about the high "asking" price of some owners. I used all of the media that you mentioned when I was shopping. One tool that I found useful was the advanced search in ebay, "completed" listings only. It shows what BUYERS are willing (or not willing) to pay. You can taylor the search to your region, or the whole country. I'll add that the bike I bought was on Craigslist for a more than I wanted to pay. I sent an polite inquiry and set up some dialog with the guy (along with about 12 other sellers). 1 1/2 months later, he wrote and asked if I was still interested. I got it for my price. :s
Granted, I did not hear from several of the others I had mailed, but I only wanted one good buy.

Agree with Breeze on this one. Searching ebay and monitoring craiglist are you best guide to getting the right price for the bike. I purchased mine off eBay, but from a local guy. Posed a questions about his posting, went and looked at the bike and made him an offer the next day. He was ready to sell and was reasonable. Other option is to also look at the dealerships for price comparison, as well as the blue book value. All of these come into play.

If you pay them a visit they are also more likely to deal as they know your interest level. Without the face to face or at least a phone, no way to politely call them out on their ludicrous price. Provide them the references and as Breeze noted, when they truly realize they cannot get back their 12K of upgrades, they will concede and now you will have the upper hand.

got mine off craigs list.found it in s.jersey.took a while ,buy got what i wanted. had to go from pa but worth the 75 mile ride. i would not but anything i couldnt see and start. ebay is good if u can go to see it.good luck take your time

I'm in the market for a new bike. I would like to find a good deal on a used bike like my old one but I'm not finding great deals. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting anything from an auction and how did you find out about it. I am reluctant to subscribe to some of the online sites without any input. In my current search I have used cycletrader, craigslist, ebay, and racing junk. One of the biggest things I have noticed are people who have bikes with 12K plus trying to sell a bike only a little off what a new one would cost and that is without any mods.

Thanks
I use the same sources - patience and lots of research will find you the right bike. Most of the time, the good deals are far away........but you can still safely conduct business.

Got my new 09 ultra through a broker on ebay paid 19,300 last aug. end of year, came from pa.

Back