free website stats program Motorcycle Adventure To California | Page 31 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Adventure To California

I'm wondering the same thing, Mad Dog. I just looked in the atlas for Virginia towns, and can't find it. The Wife and I are going to be riding the Skyline Drive and Bluegrass parkways next week and also taking the tail of the dragon if we have time. Would like to have that malt with you and discuss our trips. Jack

Jaceddie, I'm riding up to the BRP Monday morning and toward Pru and JPHOG. Pplan on meeting both of them during this trip and riding some of the road with JPHOG. If we run into each other it would also be a bonus. I'm staying at the Comfort Inn at Bedford, Monday night and probably Tuesday night.

Just caught up with your adventure....glad you made it home all in one piece and a memory that will last your lifetime!

Where did the time go? It has been one year, almost to the minute, since I left on my adventure to California. I haven’t done a whole lot of riding lately, but spring is here and the heat of summer will be here before we know it.

I have spent some time going through the website my computer wizard brother in law made to document my California adventure in conjunction with the posts I made to HDT. I have corrected some spelling and grammatical errors as well as adding captions to many of the pictures. There are still some that do not have captions, but I can’t remember exactly where some of them were taken.

If you have nothing to do while you are not riding, the website makes for cheap entertainment. If anyone has constructive criticism to make it better, feel free to let me know. It is a work in progress and any suggestions for improvement would be most appreciated.

It’s a good thing I took the trip when I did. Since my return, my dad died. My mom had an aortic aneurysm and some strokes. She is now in a rehabilitation facility with dim prospects of coming out and going back to her house. I took her dog and my sister gave her cats to loving homes. The 2010 Ultra Classic that I bought in October of 2010 barely has 4K miles on it and I think it would be wise to sell it as the prospect of putting any miles on it this year are minimal. The missus has to go away for some job related training in July and she will not be back for ten weeks. With four dogs to take care of, I don’t see how I will be able to take any major rides for the foreseeable future.

I certainly don’t relish the thought of parting with the geezer glide, but there seems to be little point in hanging on to it with little prospect of taking it on a trip. I still have the ’04 deuce, which does everything I need to do in close proximity to home.

I hope everyone that has taken trips during the last year was as fortunate as I was regarding weather and keeping the demons at bay. Best wishes to you all!

Just ran across your posts today and enjoyed reading of your trip. Sorry this year is throwing some challenges your way. I left in early April for a trip to CA from OK, make it out there and had an accident when some liberal in a Prius turned left in front of me. I've got a new Ultra Limited now and am planning to ride it to the east coast a little later in the year. I served in the Marine Corps from 1975-1979 and recently retired from the USPS. Maybe I can come your way and share a few stories. Semper Fi.

For all the new members who did not follow this this epic ride as it happened can revisit it at, Mad Dog Marrion it is as close as you will come to being there.

Mad Dog; A friend and I did 250 and 300 mile local rides last Sat./Sun. While I was enjoying the Georgia back roads and greenery, you and your 2010 journey came to mind. I really looked forward to your updates. I'm sorry for your current obligations, but you DID have your trip. I had mine in '94 '96 and '98. Sell the G.Glide if that's what is right. I'm sure Harley will have another for you if circumstances permit in the future.:p I really enjoy my "day" rides, and over nighters, then look forward to home.

Maybe somebody else that's going to be making a trip will post their exploits along the way. I read a book years ago written by J. Bach (yes relative of the composer) who flew an antique biplane back from the west coast to the east coast. Neat read.

Back