free website stats program Motorcycle Accident | Harley Davidson Forums

Motorcycle Accident

Drew

I was driving (unfortunately, not riding) to the 105th this weekend with the family, and saw a motorcycle accident. I'm a new rider, and it really kind of felt like a punch in the gut. I didn't see the accident as it happened, but came by it shortly after (ambulance was not yet there, fellow riders, drivers had the scene blocked off and were directing traffic). The guy directing traffic said it appeared the two riders were "o.k.", though likely at least broken collar bones. It was really a wake up call, seeing the riders down (both moving, thankfully) and the bikes on their side. I was able to gather myself after about 15 minutes, but I was really spooked. I had a great time at the 105th, and then did a lot of good riding throughout the long weekend.

I know we all accept certain risks by undertaking this sport, but seeing the aftermath of the accident was really disconcerting, and eye-opening. I said a prayer for the fallen riders, and hope the initial diagnosis of broken collar bone was all there was.

best,
Drew

Man that sucks. I'm glad they were not hurt any worse then that. Everyone ride safe and look out for the cagers because they don't look out for us.

This is one of those things I just can't explain. I know exactly what you're talking about - I was on a group ride one year ago this month where two fellow riders were killed by a car driven by an inattentive teenager. I ride by that spot and still get an eerie feeling every time.Almost gave up riding on the spot but ended up having a long, great talk with my wife and decided I loved it too much to stop.

Here's the weird part. When your friends and neighbors know you ride, you get to hear about every motorcycle accident within 100 miles. However, my other vehicle is a Volvo wagon and I never get a phone call from anyone telling me about a Volvo they passed on the way home that had been in a terrible wreck. I never get lectured about how many "blue wagons" are involved in accidents these days.

Makes no sense but it's the way it is I suppose.

I know what you are talking about Doc. Everyone always wants to tell you about every motorcycle wreck but they never say anything about vehicle wrecks.

I've been down twice. This was many years ago when I rode a Honda 550K. Both times, it was small gravel at an intersection. I would accelerate as I turned in the loose gravel and the bike would dump underneath me. All of this done at a very slow speed.

As I have said before....watch for small gravel or any gravel esp...where you are turning. I am always anxious to share these past experiences in the hope it may prevent another rider from making the mistake that I made...(twice)....

I too know the feeling, saw a rider accident just a month ago, it was already blocked off when I went to head into the gas station near my house. Looked as though the rider was ok, saw his arms moving, but too had that eerie feeling.

Doc - I now what you mean, I have never heard about more motorcycle accidents since I got one, seems like that is their topic of conversation for me now.

My heart goes out to anyone in any kind of accident, cage or bike.

Well said, Smitty. I agree that being overly paranoid about the "cagers who are out there to get ya" can be counterproductive. I think of it more as, "most cagers are distracted, and not necessarily paying attention. This puts me at more risk, given I am riding a motorcycle and am more difficult to see. Therefore, I have to be more diligent about riding defensively, and doing my best to be visible."

Anyway, I believe that the accident I witnessed did not involve a car, but involved two bikes that for some reason, bumped, and then each slid-out (it was a group of probably 6-8 bikes). I am not sure, but the guy directing traffic, who I spoke to for all of 3 seconds, made it sound like that. I'm not sure, though.

regards,
Drew

Well, I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet that the group was riding too tightly and they didn't have enough reaction time or space when someone had to swerve for some reason. Goes back to Smitty's rule number seven about riding smart vs. looking cool. I see way too many groups riding overly compacted, tires actually overlapping, so they can talk and just overall look cool. Don't do it! Do your talking at red lights and rest stops and spread out to safe distance the rest of the time.

I can't think of too many things more embarassing than putting your bike down because you hit someone else you were riding with.

Vary rarely is an accident the fault of just one person. Cutting you off might be someone else's fault; but not paying attention to what is going on around you and not allowing enough space to react to a situation is you fault.

It seems that any time I hear about an accident between one of us(2 wheels) and one of them(4 wheels)The response from the 4 wheeler is always the same. "I never saw him!" My husband(mr2cool) found the perfect answer to that problem.

Attachments

• 100_1829.jpg
    100_1829.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 17
Back