free website stats program motor quit | Harley Davidson Forums

motor quit

hargun2

Quick question for you guys, I have an 02 Electra Glide Standard carburated and I was riding yesterday in 3rd gear up a pretty steep hill at about 2400 RPM and the engine just quit. I had electrical power to all my curcuits. I let it sit a couple of minutes and it tried to start but quit again so to get out of the way of traffic I coasted the bike back down the hill and tried to start it again and it started right up and ran fine the rest of the day. I did crack the gas cap before before it started....what do you think happened??

Any backfiring before or after? Its fire or fuel. Kinda hard to tell by the description. My guess would be a fuel issue like the vacuum petcock diaphragm or trash in the carb. Let us know what you find.

Bodeen

no backfiring before or after it just quit like it ran out of gas. I changed the fuel strainer about 2000 miles ago. Isn't there a sensor in the system that will shut the bike down when it gets to warm?

no backfiring before or after it just quit like it ran out of gas. I changed the fuel strainer about 2000 miles ago. Isn't there a sensor in the system that will shut the bike down when it gets to warm?

I am not aware of a overheating sensor that would shut it down. There used to be main circuit breaker troubles. They would overheat and open until they cooled off, then they would again for awhile. You stated you had power all the way threw the problem though.

Bodeen

You said it didn't backfire or anything.....but mine will spit and sputter a couple of times if I'm running out of fuel. That's what let's me know to switch to reserve.

The only thing I can think of that would make an engine cold quit without a sputter, cough, backfire or anything would be something ignition or spark related.

As you mentioned, you retained all electrical...lights etc. so somehow it seems the engine lost spark for whatever reason. I've seen coils going bad that cut out like that but that's usually associated with some drivability problems just before they do.

Keep us posted if it continues or if you figure it out.

Checked my battery connections and they were tight so I went for a ride. after about 20 miles it quit again on me and after about 5 to 10 minutes it started back up and ran for about another 5 miles and quit again. After about 15 minutes it started back up and I made it home. Buddie told me about an article he read in American Iron concerning the Maxi fuse in that it will break down in time and cause the problem I'm having so I'm off to the Harley shop to grab one of those and see if that fixes it. Also the battery is four years old so that might be on it's last leg. I will keep you posted on this

The Maxi fuse is usually either good or it's bad, it doesn't open and close like a breaker does. I would replace the main breaker and go up to a 50 amp breaker instead of the 40 in there now. There was a service bulletin on this a while back like Bodeen mentioned.

Back