free website stats program Motor problems | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motor problems

As Hoople said the first thing you need to do is find out what your corrected cranking compression is. Ideally it needs to be in the 180-195 psi range for street use. I would not change a thing until I found out what it is. Just swapping out the cams without checking could be disastrous. If for instance you are at currently at 205 psi with the SE 260 cams and you were to put a SE 255 cam in it the corrected cranking compression would jump to 243 psi. NOT GOOD.

To find out what your Corrected cranking compression is you will need a simple compression tester that many auto parts stores will loan for free with a deposit. First get the motor to normal operating temperature, then pull the spark plugs,but ground them to the motor.Pull the fuse to the fuel pump,screw compression tester into the front cylinder spark plug hole. Next remove air cleaner and open throttle to full open and crank until the gauge stops moving. Record this number and repeat on the rear cylinder. The numbers should be within a few psi of each other.

This will be your corrected cranking compression numbers. Don't do anything until you know what they are.

Randall

I'm going to go get the bike Friday and settle up with the dealer. Hopefully I will find out then and post the results.

Back