free website stats program Motor problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Motor problems

With those cams @ 55 deg intake closing you need some killer compression for low end performance. I would take Hooples advice and have them enrich the the low end of the table, and check the compression to make sure you've got enough to get good low end power.
I had a stage 4 95" kit in my 01 Ultra when I purchased it used. Took a long time to find out what I had (SE performance heads, SE 258 cams, 11:1 forged pistons in 95"). It was a ping monster even with 186 compression. A good tune helped, but after the engine (EDIT) I ditched the pistons for some flat tops and some SE251 cams. My engine is much smoother with better low end performance and still at around 183 compression.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
That engine sounds (hold it closer to the phone) Like HOOPLE says....

I think IT is MISSING the fuel at the beginning of UP
off idle,,,, Kinda Like the old carbs that Squirted in a little raw gas...

The fuel injectors do the same....

ADDING fuel at this position off idle would be my guess...

The TFI i use gives ME the control on the SQUIRT volume on my 09 FLHR......

MAYBE Talk to TFI Dobecks and ask them IF the TFI would Help Eliminate Your Problem..... IF the TFI did ONLY that squirt using pot #2 it would BE Worth the addition of the TFI... LOTS cheaper than HD STUFF they are offering you,,,$$$$$$$$

I would NOT let anybody Monkey with that motor.... That KIT as you call it should work and no 2500$$$$ will be needed to make it run better... What a waste of $$ to change it out!

I would not spend THAT kind of money to JUST get that Lack of response working you are experiencing..
There MUST be a better Less Expensive way ,,,, Maybe like the TFI

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie, I looked up the specs on those SE260 cams and they look like a bit much for an everyday street machine to me. I bet they pull hard at mid 1/4 mile but for in town traffic? What do you think?

I think Hoople is giving you excellent advice. And as for the head gaskets...the thickness will have a lot of bearing on the compression ratio. The thnner the gasket, the higher it will be. Possibly the thicker gaskets were used specificly to keep the ratio down in a more "streetable" range.

Yes on the above BUT I would NOT lower the compression ratio that the KIT called for!

I would think that the KIT as stated here would Be the Right gasket IF it came With the KIT.... I would also agree with the closing of the intake LATE in that cam,,,, (remember higher RPM needed to gain torque) AND-OR higher compression to compensate for the Early opening...

the LOW end torque on a SE255= intake closes Way Early at 20*.

NO I'm Not suggesting different cams, just showing others the value of the CLOSE of the intake as we had another discussion on this very thing..

Small numbers on intake closing =(low end torque) Low RPM... while Large numbers on intake closing(high RPM and high compression to compensate) = High end torque, and High RPM

signed....BUBBIE

the LOW end torque on a SE255= intake closes Way Early at 20*.

signed....BUBBIE

It's not a SE255. It's a SE260... Try intake 55* after BDC. :p ! That is why I asked what the compression (not ratio) was early on. Dynamic compression will be in the weeds if gasket is wrong.

Bubbie, I looked up the specs on those SE260 cams and they look like a bit much for an everyday street machine to me. I bet they pull hard at mid 1/4 mile but for in town traffic? What do you think?

The changing of the Cams to LESSER duration with the intake valve closing Earlier would Benefit the runability for the street. I just would like to see it work without a lot of $$$$ spent at the local dyno shop where the seem to NOT be able to get the engine OFF the low speed RPM basis.... I still think that extra Gas (squirt) is missing at low (off idle ) RPM.

The changing out of the cams would be the FIRST way I would go IF that is what he wants to do.

The pistons i have Not looked at nor the compression it has just answering in the Blind here....

I'll take a look IF i have the information in my Scream'n Eagle book and get back..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the ideas. I should mention that they showed me the dyno sheet. At the low end it looked rough then smoothed out as the rpms climed but never reached what it should have. It topped out at 82 hp. The SE kit shows that it should reach 110hp. While I'm still unsure where to go from here I think I will go get my bike and pay them for they have done so far. I feel like I really need another dealer to look at it.

Thanks for the ideas. I should mention that they showed me the dyno sheet. At the low end it looked rough then smoothed out as the rpms climed but never reached what it should have. It topped out at 82 hp. The SE kit shows that it should reach 110hp. While I'm still unsure where to go from here I think I will go get my bike and pay them for they have done so far. I feel like I really need another dealer to look at it.

Good move. I would also consider a shop Other than a HD dealer IF you have one that is good.... Other Indy builders would be Open to more than the EPA allows the HD shops to go...

signed....BUBBIE

Since it appears the engine did not "get on the pipe" (82hp), the very first thing I would do is check what your dynamic compression is with a gauge. That is a must. You just may need that proper gasket.

It's not a SE255. It's a SE260... Try intake 55* after BDC. :p ! That is why I asked what the compression (not ratio) was early on. Dynamic compression will be in the weeds if gasket is wrong.

I just used the SE255 as a comparison.. Noting that the SE Book shows the 103 and the 110 engine Kits comes with them...
I think to get His range of torque and RPM where the Street Needs them,,,, The SE255 Would be the lesser of $$ to get it to run at the Street Level..

You guys are right on the mark in the Too Large of Cams...

signed....BUBBIE:D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since it appears the engine did not "get on the pipe" (82hp), the very first thing I would do is check what your dynamic compression is with a gauge. That is a must. You just may need that proper gasket.

Hoople,

You are right on the Money here... Bigger cams Need More compression to off set the * of the intake closing... My Static compression (done properly with air butter flies open fully) ran about 195/197 and in one of my builds with wiesco 10.5/1 ran 215/219 way too much for streetable gas... and the cams I ran.

A big cam does not make a big engine.(.)

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Back