free website stats program motor noise | Harley Davidson Forums

motor noise

saintNH

While I was riding today I noticed that the motor on my 2001 Fatboy was making more noise than usual. Im wondering if the summer heat is to blame for it. I am running HD 20w50 conventional and its about 85-90 degrees and very humid where I am. I changed the oil about 4-5 months ago and have put on a little over 2,000 miles. I know that when oil gets hot it thins, so if that is the reason for the noise, is there a better oil to run to get rid of the noise and in turn, better protect my motor?

Hard to explain. It may be a chain noise, primary or cam, but it really sounds like its coming from the jugs. It is constant and rises and falls with rpm, but Im going riding today so I will try to get a better idea of how to explain it.

Hard to explain. It may be a chain noise, primary or cam, but it really sounds like its coming from the jugs. It is constant and rises and falls with rpm, but Im going riding today so I will try to get a better idea of how to explain it.

It would be advisable to check out what is causing the noise before riding it any more. If it is the tensioners or even the primary chain, there could be serious problems if not fixed and continued running.

If it is the tensioners, you may end up loosing a motor.

Back