free website stats program Motor mount bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

Motor mount bolts

A mate of mine is having trouble with his '05 Screamin Eagle V-Rod front engine mount bolts breaking, this has happened twice and the dealer can't tell him why. This would never happen to a Fat Boy.
Ride Safe & Have Fun:bigsmiley31:

A mate of mine is having trouble with his '05 Screamin Eagle V-Rod front engine mount bolts breaking, this has happened twice and the dealer can't tell him why. This would never happen to a Fat Boy.
Ride Safe & Have Fun:bigsmiley31:
Sounds like the wrong bolts being used but, why did it happen the first time. I presume the first time was with original bolts?

Factory bolts every time, not riding hard or anything that you would think would damage the bike. It's got us stuffed and we just want to be able to fix what ever it is thats causing the problem. Thanks

Its possible your dealer has a bad batch of bolts from HD.

Its also possible your dealer might have picked up some low grade bolts locally and selling them as HD.

I dont know to much about the grading of bolts , but find out what grade of bolt should be used then up it a grade or two.

Anyone else with a solution ???

These bolts are a special bolt and are shaped like nothing that you could go down to the hardware store and get. I think they hold the radiator as well but not sure.

Not sure how the bolt is baeing used but, could it be that the bus or hole it goes through has a little too much play and allows the bolt to travel a little before being stopped and thus getting a large force inflicted when accelerating etc?

The holes the two bolts go through do have a little play in them but are not what you would call sloppy and I would say they were the same from new. We only know of one other V-Rod doing this but his did it just the once.:bigsmiley19:

Back