motor dies

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Turk55, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Turk55

Turk55 Active Member

I have a 09 SG that has been updated to 107" (10.5 comp, S&S 585G cams, ported heads, Power Commander V) I am having an intermitting problem, sometimes when I get into it hard the motor will just dye, not to the point where I have to restart it, just let off the throttle and it takes off. It doesn't do this every time but seems to be happing more offend. Before you ask, it isn't the rev limiter I am hitting, this seems to happen round 3000 rpm or so, and only when I twist the throttle hard. :newsmile040:

2. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Check to see if Power Commander is securely attached to bike and that the wires are not being compromised when the motor twists on hard throttle. Are you getting a check engine light?? And yes you are correct about rev limiter it kicks in around 5,500 RPM.

3. 03HD883R

03HD883R Active Member

It sounds like an electrical issue as dbmg states. If you want to make double sure it's not the Power Commander, try taking it off and see if it still does it as it sounds like you can reproduce the issue.

4. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Try without the PC and see if it does it.

5. Turk55

Turk55 Active Member

I give it a try next chance I get to ride and let ya know, thanks for the info. By the way it isn't thronging any codes.

6. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

You probably do not want to spend a bunch of time running it that lean but just enough to check out the PC.

7. Turk55

Turk55 Active Member

Discounting power commander made no change but did find that air filter and air censer in throttle body covered with oil and after cleaning it all's good that is until it got covered again. Thinking even though I run 1/2 quart less oil it still messing things up, what ya think about losing the hoses that run from heads to filter and replace them with independent filters?

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Harley Davidson Sportster crankcase head breathers system DK Custom

Here is a set up for ALL TC motors, similar in design to the Evo venting system