free website stats program Most Embarrassing Day | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Most Embarrassing Day

Obviously you are good people. Your wife helped you in your hour of need, without complaint and when you returned to 1st gas station there was your cap. Your day is a memory made for a lifetime. So its all good.:s
I had a similar situation pulling into a busy convenience store with my wife. Pulled into a parking space did not deploy jiffy stand properly she got off and when it was my turn over the Glide went. Guess who help me pick it up and she did not complain!!!:newsmile058:

I was heading north on route 93 in NV above Las Vegas this past July when I decided to pull over on the gravel. The gravel was deeper than anticipated and sloped away from the road and it went over. I tried getting it back up but no luck. It was a combination of heat, angle and old age setting in. A Harley rider and his girlfriend stopped and the two of us got it up. Another rider pulled up and said there is "no way we would leave you out here". It almost made it worth dropping it to see how far riders will go to help a fellow rider in need. After that I made sure I kicked the gravel to make sure I had a firm footing before putting the jiffy stand down. Plus I owe the guy that helped me and the only way to pay him back is to pay it forward.

I was heading north on route 93 in NV above Las Vegas this past July when I decided to pull over on the gravel. The gravel was deeper than anticipated and sloped away from the road and it went over. I tried getting it back up but no luck. It was a combination of heat, angle and old age setting in. A Harley rider and his girlfriend stopped and the two of us got it up. Another rider pulled up and said there is "no way we would leave you out here". It almost made it worth dropping it to see how far riders will go to help a fellow rider in need. After that I made sure I kicked the gravel to make sure I had a firm footing before putting the jiffy stand down. Plus I owe the guy that helped me and the only way to pay him back is to pay it forward.

Been riding off and on since 1960 and have seen biking evolve over the years.

Compared to the general conduct on the road; bikers are still the most willing to help. I've seen Blue Knghts and Outlaw Bikers team up to help yuppie riders at considerable inconvenience to themselves.

I have dropped my bike three times and all three times I have had help getting it back upright. If I ever see any rider in that situation I would, without hesitation, help them. To me it's a no brainer.
BTW, I really dislike gravel! Very unstable. Gotta be very careful on it. How the heck were you supposed to know how deep it was? That kind caught you by surprise I'm sure.

I realy feel bad that you put her down , but glad everything is ok . As for the fuel cap when i fuel i rest if on my seat on its top so i cant forget it . Good advise always keep head up when stopping & never be on the front break hard going slow .

I hit a speed bump in the dark at a Lowes store going real slow in a turn and over she went. Adrenalin must have been flowing cause I just reached down and picked her right up. It's an 02 FLHTC and I am 5'8" and 170 lbs. I guess I was so embarrased I didn't want anyone to see my goof, so I just had that spurt of strength.

I lay my gas cap on my seat. It was bound to happen sometime, be glad your turn has come and gone with no lasting damage.

Since we drifted into the subject of gravel, some of the newer riders and a reminder for us older ones is never hit your brakes, or even suddenly let up on gas when going thru a surprise patch of slick stuff.:(

Glad you are both OK, I did something similar with my lady on the back.
I drilled a small hole in the finger grip of my glides gas cap and put a small yellow cable tie thru it. I then used to hang it on the brake lever.
I made the loop in the cable tie a snug fit over the ball end of the brake lever, that way it could not drop off nor roll off.

Back