free website stats program Morning Riders! | Harley Davidson Forums

Morning Riders!

I am a little perplexed. Hoping to find a direction by joining this forum. I have a 2012 Street Glide. Yesterday, I tore the bike down to install an amplifier and larger speakers in the fairing. I marked everything and completed the installation. The stereo sounds great! I couldn't be happier, except for the fact that she won't start now. She cranks, but will not fire. Lights, blinkers, everything works. I hear the fuel pump wind up, but it is not the normal 2 seconds or so. It is very abrupt and ends quickly (less than 1/2 second or so). Not real sure how to proceed. Everything appears to be installed correctly. I detached the quick release on the tank and reattached it. A small amount of fuel came out, exactly like the first time I detached it. She simply will not start. She was running just fine before the tear down. No troubles whatsoever. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

Going back to your statement, "I tore the bike down." Could you elaborate a bit more? Obviously you removed the outer fairing but did you also remove the gas tank to run the amp power line to the battery? Did you remove any fuses? Disconnect any wires from the battery?

It's always best to go back and retrace your exact steps looking for something you might have forgotten to reconnect. Or something you may have inadvertantly knocked loose.

Thanks for the reply. Yes. I removed the tank to route the wires. Unhooked the battery. Saddlebags, seat, side covers and everything else necessary to do the work. I did not remove any fuses. I had all the connections marked for reassembly. Everything appeared to go back together well. Ground and all connections were tight. It doesn't appear to be an ECM issue, I have all the bells and whistles in ignition mode. Not sure if I have to bleed the air out of the fuel line, or reset the computer, etc.

Check your owners manual for security relearn procedure
Welcome to The Forum

Good morning! Thanks for the welcome. I checked the owner's manual I have. Nothing about "security relearn procedure." I don't have a FOB or a security system on the bike that I know of.

No ECM relearn required after disconnecting battery. The fuel pump runs shorter time, because it is holding pressure from last time you cycled ign. I'm not sure about 2012's but my 2007 has two fuse boxes. One on the left, and one on the right, next to the ECM. This one has the ECM fuse and the ign. fuse.
Check all fuses with a meter. Those little buggers can look good, but be blown.

Welcome to the forum!!

Alright. Just pulled every single fuse to check its condition. They all look good. Reinstalled them and put a tester on them. They are all good. Tried to start her again with a fully charged battery. Nothing. Cranks very well but will not start. There is only one fuse box that I can see. I should be able to smell gas while attempting to start? I can't smell a thing. The fuel pump is cycling normally again (back to approximately 2 seconds). Any ideas on what my next step should be?
WAP.gif

Alright. Just pulled every single fuse to check its condition. They all look good. Reinstalled them and put a tester on them. They are all good. Tried to start her again with a fully charged battery. Nothing. Cranks very well but will not start. There is only one fuse box that I can see. I should be able to smell gas while attempting to start? I can't smell a thing. The fuel pump is cycling normally again (back to approximately 2 seconds). Any ideas on what my next step should be?
WAP.gif

If no fuel smell,the only thing that makes sense is fuel quick release.I would disconnect and reconnect insuring that You hear and feel the detent click.

The first time I reconnected it (after the stereo and amp work), it didn't seat. Since then, I have disconnected and reconnected it 6 times, making sure the connection is good. Every time I disconnect, I get a very small splash of fuel. I truly wish that was the issue, but I don't think it is. Could it be the lines on top of the tank maybe?
WAP.gif

Back