free website stats program More Stable | Harley Davidson Forums

More Stable

HarryB737

Here's a little project I did to help stablize the bike while on the lift.
I welded some "outriggers" in four places on the lift to give it a larger Footprint....Welded angle iron with a 1/2" nut in place with a bolt that can go down & retrack when not needed... Here's some pictures... It helped alot.DSCN0399 (Small).JPG

DSCN0400 (Small).JPG

Thanks for sharing your idea. It looks easy enough for those who can...

Now if I could only weld, and had a welder or some one close that could do that. Look like a great idea.

Nice way to stabilize the jack & you can add those rubber bolt caps (get @ Ace Hardware) to make sure the lift stays in one place & garage floor doesn't get dinged. Great job!

Nice report and creative idea. Is that the Sears Red or H.F. Yellow ? Can't tell from the focus.

When I get kinda rough with the bike, my H.F. has some flexure in the brace structure of the Jack that comes up off the base. The Floor base part doesn't seem to flex or tilt. Just the small bit of flexure in the risen structure tends to show the front end bouncing some due to the extended geometry from point of beginning.

I will say this for my cheap cost H.F. Jack. I have done everything from replace bars, riser bushings, loosen and torque motor mounts front and back. And the absolute most testing was pulling my vertical alignment towards the left of the bike 3/16 of an inch, all while the bike was on the lift.

The bike never once tried to slide off the pads or tip off the jack. However the entire jack and bike did start to roll (on the wheels) when I pulled hard on the engine brace. So I set up a pry bar arrangement, by mask taping some wood blocks on the frame and some leather pads on the engine brace. Then I could push against the bar with my shoulder while I dropped the alignment bolt into the eye hole.

Quote: Is that the Sears Red or H.F. Yellow ? Can't tell from the focus.

It's a Harbor Freight "Orange"... the model before their yellow one.

Sorry for the focus/Lighting issue.

I got this lift back when I had my Sportster, but it does fine for the Heritage too... even better with the outriggers. It's now stable enough I would be comfortable enough to do anything one might want to do with a bike on a lift.
I've changed several tires & done complete maintenance ect....

.. .. . It's a Harbor Freight "Orange"... the model before their yellow one. Sorry for the focus/Lighting issue.

I got this lift back when I had my Sportster, but it does fine for the Heritage too... even better with the outriggers. It's now stable enough I would be comfortable enough to do anything one might want to do with a bike on a lift.
I've changed several tires & done complete maintenance ect....

If I ever get done with all the stuff going on in my life and get some decent income coming back in, I would love to do what you did PLUS weld some secondary square tubes right on the outside face of the ones hole the pads up.

Just weld them right on the OEM square tubes and drill holes out the end for the pad bolts to go thru. Bet that would be on stout setup them.

Back