free website stats program More Questions on Buffeting | Harley Davidson Forums

More Questions on Buffeting

danthern

I know it's been done to death but I'm hoping for some fresh thought. I just put a HD Super Sport Windshield on my 2010 FXDC. While the improvement is very signifigant as far as the wind in the chest goes, there is some buffeting. Not as bad as some I've seen described, but enough to be annoying. Starts around 55-60 mph. I've adjusted the shield height up and down the forks and I have a fork bag that I've had since I bought the bike. Used 3/4 and full face helmets. I seem to get less disturbance with the shield all the way at the top of the forks which means I look through instead of over for the most part (a whole different issue, right?) although if I straighten up and raise my chin a bit I can see over. By feeling wind flow with my hand at 70 mph the shield seems to be doing its job deflecting air over and around my head. The air is coming from the bottom up the sides of the tank. Helps somewhat when I hug the tank with my knees. When I extend my legs parallel with the tank the buffeting is 97% gone. The arm across the chest test doesnt do much in the way of improvement so I'm doubtful the vest is a cure. I've read much on the subject of lowers, deflectors, whatever you want to call them. Even if I wanted to use them I can't see where they are made for Dynas. I wonder if a tank bag would make a di:cheersfference...? I'll pop the shield off in town but I'm planning an excursion of the Blue Ridge Parkway and I'll need the shield (approx 1000 mil round trip with interstate on the way up). Any thoughts or advice? Sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks in advance for any tips, advice and/or opinions.

I have had the same problem for years. Solved it with a set of lowers. Memphis Shades makes some as do others. Check for lowers for your bike. You won't be disappointed.

Can't help ya man. I never met a windshield that didn't make my beard flop up and down. Doesn't mean they ain't out there.

I hear ya....I saw a set of chrome deflectors on a Road King and they really didn't look bad. I can't find where they are made for Dynas though. If anyone knows...???

DJBiker has the right idea, Memphis shades fork mounted Lexan wind deflectors. They do make air deflectors that redirect the air between the forks as well.

The Memphis Shade ones look a little cheesy and the brackets seem a bit overpriced. I don't think Harley makes them for the Dyna so I'm going to order some Chrome ones for the touring/softtail and figure out an asthetically pleasing way (hopefully) to attach them. If anyone has done this I'd be pleased to know about it.

By the way, how do you get the picture of your bike on this page?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered and installed the MS lowers on my FXDC. I've experimented with many positions, helmets, windshield heights, etc. My head is still doing the watusi. Anyone have a pic of how you've mounted your MS lowers?

I have the 09 Super Glide and suffered from buffeting. Tried the tool bag: no help: Tried shield up and down: no help Tilted the shield with spacer at bottom; A little help: Installed MS lowers: Bingo!!!! 90% gone.
Get the lowers and enjoy riding your bike. :):):)

Gene-C

I have the 09 Super Glide and suffered from buffeting. Tried the tool bag: no help: Tried shield up and down: no help Tilted the shield with spacer at bottom; A little help: Installed MS lowers: Bingo!!!! 90% gone.
Get the lowers and enjoy riding your bike. :):):)

Gene-C

Thanks Gene.....I have the lowers and I guess I haven't found the sweet spot cause I still have enough buffeting that it's pretty annoying. Would you be kind enough to snap a pic of your installation?

Danthern: I am in So Dakota now and the bike is at home in Illinois. I mounted the brackets for the MS lowers below the triple tree lower brace. The forks have enough free movement space that the forks never hit the brackets. I hope I explained this clear enough that you can picture how I did it. The windshield is mounted at its lowest point so I look over it. This set up works good for me. I enjoy riding my bike now. I didn't want the lowers but I hate the buffeting so I will keep them on the bike. Good luck with what ever setup you go with and have fun riding the HOG.

Gene-C

Back