More Power

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by Crambo, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Crambo

Crambo Active Member

Can someone tell me what cams I've got in my 2008 Nightster, all I have come up with on the net from bike reviews is that they are high performance "w" grind but no specs...I'm looking at a possible stage II upgrade to bolt in cams but without knowing what I'm upgrading I'm stumped.
    Stage 1 so far SE pro heavy breather, V&H sideshots, V&H Fuelpak
    Any recommendations for ignition modules compatible with the 1200N would be appreciated...:naughty

2. Crambo

Crambo Active Member

My tech has told me the nightster rev limiter kicks in at about 7000rpm (feels less) same as the XR 1200, 500rpm more should be enough or will I need more taking into account I'll be fitting new cams.
    I knew I should have gone with the PC III...:(

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

Don't know about that 7K rev limit, but I wouldn't spin any harley engine much over 5500-6000 if that. Engine longevity is directly related to the way it is ridden.

4. Crambo

Crambo Active Member

I told him that my rev limiter was kicking in at about 5500rpm and I wanted to up it to 6000rpm, he told me the nightster rev limiter is set at 7000rpm, when I questioned this he showed me the rev counter on an XR and sure enough red line is between 7k - 9k, say's the engines are the same...
    I've now found out that the V&H fuelpak will not allow you to change the rev limiter, it only adds or decreases fuel...:coffee

5. Crambo

Crambo Active Member

And that was the head HD mechanic at my dealership that told me that...:wall

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

So what did you expect......truthful facts?:D

That's why you come here to find out the truth. Hobbit will give you the straight scoop that you can trust.

7. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

was it the "head mechanic"?, or the "Service M:55:nager" Service manager are about as honest as a lawyer IMO

8. Crambo

Crambo Active Member

That's the one "Service M:devilnager...
    So what about a Screamin' Eagle Performance Ignition System, or is there an ECM flash fix to bypass the rev limiter...I only want another 500rpm or so...:51:

9. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

I believe the stage one download brings the rev limiter up to 6200......I think think.:D or you could put on a SERT or a thunder max. A higher rev limit isn't needed for IMO.

10. Crambo

Crambo Active Member

In low gears since the stage one mods the bike lifts off on acceleration then bogs when it reaches the limiter, just a whisker from hitting the sweet spot, and the boltin XL cams work better at higher revs also, so just a tad higher with the rev's and I'll have the low/mid/high range bases all covered...:yahoo