free website stats program More on the New Milwaukee 8 | Harley Davidson Forums

More on the New Milwaukee 8

J

Jack Klarich

IMG_7555.CR2.jpg

Harley's 3-D modeling is mind-bogglingly rich with detail and complexity.

IMG_7536.CR2.jpg

The new clutch is plainly visible here, as are the low-tension piston rings. Look how thin they are!
Harley-Davidson!) Shifting is exactly as you’d expect: big and clunky. The shifts require a firm boot heel on either end of the heel-toe shifters, the travel is long, and the resulting clang is firm and authoritative, if a bit lacking

I have no idea what this is, My 17 clicks in gear like a Honda, hot or cold NO more clunk

IMG_7562.CR2.jpg

A closer look at a 3-D modeled rocker box. Look at how elaborate they are!

IMG_7543.CR2.jpg

That blue line shows where the coolant flows, specifically to draw heat away from the exhaust valves..

Harley also dropped the Twinkie’s ion-sensing ignition. Instead, the internal happenings of the engine are now monitored by knock sensors. This new method of engine management keeps the powerplant’s ignition advanced juuuuust shy of detonation at every firing of a cylinde

IMG_7547.CR2.jpg

This angle really illustrates how much the primary was narrowed. My left ankle was very pleased

Last edited by a moderator:
I have NO idea what this writer was talking about the clunk and long throw of the tranny, mine does not clunk at all, more like a Honda it clicks, and the throw is no different than any other Harley, in fact it may be a bit less
I have changed the fluid in the tranny to Bel Ray, it is RED in color, not pink like Redline, cheaper also. That said I think Redline is a better lube, but I have to order it, no one carries it here for a decent price

All reports of shifting that I have read, claim it's quieter. Probably due to the scissor gear on 1st.
The bike was quiet with the formula plus
I drained it @ 100 miles and put the Bel Ray in
A bit of fuzz on the magnet
I think it is a bit quieter now and shifts smooth

First gear has no clunk.All others have a metalic sound.I will have SYN3 in transmission on Friday.1000 mile service thrown in with purchase.So Syn3 in engine and transmission and Formula Plus in primary,beacuse it's no cost to Me.Mobil1 V-Twin 20w-50 from next oil change on.I was suprised to see that the Owner's manual did not give SYN3 as an option for the primary.Formula Plus was the only oil listed.

First gear has no clunk.All others have a metalic sound.I will have SYN3 in transmission on Friday.1000 mile service thrown in with purchase.So Syn3 in engine and transmission and Formula Plus in primary,beacuse it's no cost to Me.Mobil1 V-Twin 20w-50 from next oil change on.I was suprised to see that the Owner's manual did not give SYN3 as an option for the primary.Formula Plus was the only oil listed.
Interesting, a junior salesman told me they ship new bikes with special break in oil, I did not say a word. It Clearly says in the owners manual ALL bikes are shipped with HD360 oil, I would assume you could run Syn3 in all 3 holes if you like

I usually run Mobil1 V-Twin in all 3 holes and probably will after 5k.I did show the owners manual to the service dept.manager.We will see if He contacted Harley for a clarification.SYN3 in the primary of My 2014 sounded like a "bucket of bolts" at idle.I changed it to Mobil1.However,different compensator in M8.Still curious,why no option for anything but,Formula Plus.

Looking at this new engine, hearing that the eternal "clunk" is gone......the cad software is soooo sophisticated now compared to when the twin cam was designed. And it was good back in the nineties.
Things like finite element analysis-FEA, simulating a mechanical component through it's intended use, like bending a spring and seeing if the deflection will make it yield or fracture.
I have some confidence that if things are sourced/quality compliant this is going to be a fine motor.

My best guess is the Dyna frame will have to be altered or redesigned to fit this engine
Why it did not roll out first as HD almost always tries their new combos on the Dyna line first
The V Rod is in its last year of production
The Dyna FLD is no more
The Dyna comes with the 103 High Output engine
Or the Dyna S with the 110 engine @ MSRP Around 17k

Back