free website stats program more hp at low speed | Harley Davidson Forums

more hp at low speed

ok guys what is the best combination to gain some HP at lower speed? even at high speed?
as i notice my 2010 ultra classic is really slow at passing other car at high speed ? I have to plan way ahead to pass any car even at 75mph , this things doesnt pick up speed quick, and i know some of you will say i have to downshift bla bla... i do that :(.
at lower speed and i mean when i just get to ran the bike with my girl on back i always have to twist throtle at least 2500 rpm to go ...and i am we both weight is 270 Lbs...
so i was looking at stage one configurations, as i have already rineheart 4" slip on.
my question is :
1- is there high flow air filter that fit in stock cover without changing the whole stock .?
2- do i have to buy a tuner for the efi? and what is the best out there vs money spend ?
3- does anybody try this ? and what do u think? 2008 through 2012 Harley Davidson Touring Models Gain Airflow with K&N Air Intake Assembly

thank you all :)

hdultra2010,

question 1, yes there are many out there, opinions vary as to the best.

question 2, a lot of tuners, i.e., fuel management are out there as well, most folks on the forum prefer TFI, if you read under self help, diagnostics and fuel injection you will find a lot of info.

question 3, replied in previous post, lean setup, fuel should be added.

good luck!

gator508 has you covered. Read up in the self help section and all your questions should be covered in detail.

Though I wouldn't disagree with doing a stage 1, flashing the computer or putting on a tuner, are you looking to do this because you don't like revving the engine to 2500 rpm? I know a lot of harley guys who hate revving that high because of some fear of engine damage or because they like the sound at low RPM's. You haven't even gotten half way to your rev limiter yet.
Twist the throttle, shift later and have some fun!

Though I wouldn't disagree with doing a stage 1, flashing the computer or putting on a tuner, are you looking to do this because you don't like revving the engine to 2500 rpm? I know a lot of harley guys who hate revving that high because of some fear of engine damage or because they like the sound at low RPM's. You haven't even gotten half way to your rev limiter yet.

+1
If you are rolling on the throttle at much lower than 2500 rpm, you are lugging the motor.

I am not afraid of revving the engine, i know it take her at least 5400 rpm to rev . it just i like to start her at low rpm, even in my car i go at 2300 rpm . for the maneuvering at low speed.

Theres a difference between lower rpm's and lugging the engine. Harley's don't like to be lugged. It's your ride so you decide what's best for your scoot and your riding style.

I am not afraid of revving the engine, i know it take her at least 5400 rpm to rev . it just i like to start her at low rpm, even in my car i go at 2300 rpm . for the maneuvering at low speed.

Any type of roll on @2300 and you will be lugging the motor. If you start a pass and really roll on....well you're not doing that motor any favors.

I think a Stage 1, a tuner of some sort & some bolt in cams catering to low-mid range TQ will help you get that bike closer to the way you'll like it.

More fuel will make it go faster. A different cam will let even more fuel into the cylinders. 2,300 rpms in 1st and 2nd gear is a lot different than 2,300 rpm's in 4th and up gears. Even a four cylinder car fires every 180° of the crankshaft. A Harley fires only every 315° and 405° of the crank.
I have Andrews 48 cams and a fuel pack in my Electra Glide. It pulls strong from 2,000 in gears 1-2-3, 4th and 5th need about 3,000 to start pulling good, 6th needs,,,,,, well 6th doesn't pull, it cruises.

I was once told by a older Harley expert. Harley are designed to be run up on the cam. Anything less is lugging and stressing engine. Of course being in the incorrect gear increases problem.

Back