free website stats program More Horsepower | Harley Davidson Forums

More Horsepower

I have a stock 1997 heritage classic 1340 cc.What would be some simple ways to beef up the horseys and what about a hypercharger performance air cleaner?

I have a stock 1997 heritage classic 1340 cc.hosiesWhat would be some simple ways to beef up the horseys and what about a hypercharger performance air cleaner?

Simple and horsepower don't go together that well.Do a stage 1 and adjust your A.F.R. to your modifications. As far as the Hypercharger being "worthless",that's absurd.Seems to be another myth popular with some of the more "well known" posters on this forum.I have one on my 07' Streetglide and it works fine.I'm pretty sure I could dyno my bike with it on and with no air cleaner and there wouldn't be squat for difference.If you like the looks,go for it.A supercharger will give you horsies,but it sure isn't simple.Do some more research on here and you'll figure it out.Good luck.

I dont know the price of a stage 1 + a stage 2 SE setup installed is but I'll bet it is costly. If your budget could handle a supercharger you would be better off just putting in a bigger engine (113-120-127). Reliability and a sizeable HP increase. Check Ultima,

I've got a 1997 Dyna, Carb.I installed a accu-fire system, rejetted the carb, cleaned up the heads, K&N Air, and some great exhaust. I can't for the life of me remember the cam, but it's not stock. She pulls hard and keeps up with the best of them.

On the Haritage, I would think you would want to concentrate a bit more on "torque" not horsepower. Just a thought. Nitrous might be a simple solution also..... :D
Ugly John

John,
How well does the lower end hold up on a 10+ year old Harley motor with a nitrous kit. Just curious. Dont know anyone that has nitrous kit on thier bike for other than show. I know it works well on 350 Chevs with 4 bolt mains. Must be interesting on a bike when you hit the button at wide open throtle. Hang on and pray.

its not quite a myth there are tried tested and proved results the the HC is only just as good as the SE filter/backing plate in the stock box read here.
http://www.hdtimeline.com/fuel_and_carb_related_issues/3403-hyper_chargers_kuryakyn.html
also i base my opinion on use not myth - my tuned 06 sportster never ran properly with HC in place, kept fouling plugs, spluttering and trust me it was tuned correctly, the minute i removed the HC and installed the SE kit the bike ran perfectly, anything that when you open the throttle and it closes the air flow into the bike cannot not be good starving the motor of air making it run rich, the old HC and the Metric HC yes i had one on my Vstar opened the butterflies when you opened the throttle.
I will never spend the money they want for the HC when i can get better for less, sorry if i upset you with these comments but also check out some of the sportster forums and big HP builder non reccommend the HC

Hobbit,I'm not upset at all by your comments.I just feel the reply "HC worthless" is unfair and untrue,especially without a reason or comment why.All I know is I have one and it works fine.Sorry if you had trouble with yours.Yes it's a little gimmickey and not for performance motors,but for most touring bikes it's fine.I've had my bike WAY above the maximum allowable speed limit anywhere in the U.S. and it was still pulling good,but when the wife statrts pinching me it's time to slow down a bit.I'm not trying to whack a hornet nest here,but then again I don't mind poking it with a stick to see what happens.:s

i see you have the auto response syndrome as well :bigsmiley20:
thats why i have two bikes, one to tour and one to rip it up.
I try to base my comments on experience and own life testing, the older HC's are/were much, much better than the new ones, and yes i ride harder and faster than most all of the time, i cant help it, its in my blood, so i use parts i know deliver, if they dont they go in the bin if they are that bad or to someone who can utilise it,

Do you have any old worthless Panhead motors in your bin?I'll pay shipping.

Just buy the ultima 127 iv,e seen them as low as 4000 polished if that dosn,t git your heart started buy your next bike at the drag strip,jel

As Smitty says, it depends how much you want to spend. Stage 1 is the most common set up it seems. I will probably get flamed to no end but I think a stage 1 is a total waste of money...unless you have plans to go deeper in the future. I just can't see spending the money on a stage 1 when you will only reap the benefits starting around 3500 rpm's. Sure, you may see 1, 2, 3 additional hp in the lower rpm's, but is that really worth the cash outlay? Read some of the members posts here stating how much they paid for a full stage 1 and for some it was a pricey decision.

How you ride is another thing you should consider. If you're the type of rider that enjoys a simple Sunday cruise, a well tuned stocker will be just fine. If you like tearing it up then you're gonna pay for the extra performance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you need to look at what type of riding you do, how deep your pockets are, and weigh that against how much additional power you really NEED.

I have a stock 1997 heritage classic 1340 cc.What would be some simple ways to beef up the horseys and what about a hypercharger performance air cleaner?

Stage I w/ SE A/C, Stock Carb Jetting, Idle Screw tweek, Needle Raised and Slip-ons should do the deed for 10%-15% more HP and Torque with no ill effects to your ride, regarding longevity and basic seat of the pants improvement. If you want more performance, why not start off with a Buell, already has running tack for 40% improvement over stock Sporty plus frame and handling mods and lower cost. Just a thought. Two bikes...Twice the Fun! Worst thing is to be working on your bike all the time and not riding! :D

Back