free website stats program Monitoring Oil Temp or Pressure? | Harley Davidson Forums

Monitoring Oil Temp or Pressure?

I don't have a fairing or gauge pack on my '02 Road King but would like some way of monitoring the oil (other than the idiot light) either by using the H-D Digital Oil Temp Dipstick or the Arlen Ness 0-60# Twin Cam Oil Pressure Gauge Kit (part no. 15-658).

Any suggestions with regards to which way to go on this? Thanks.

Tom

I feel that the pressure is more important than the temp. There are kits that will put an oil pressure gauge in a tee where the oil pressure idiot light is and you do not need any mount or plumbing for it that way.

The temp is good also but that can be handled with a temp dipstick, the analog ones are more reliable than the digital ones. Many of the digital ones have gone belly up after a short time in service.

Here's the PDF for the Arlen ness setup.

http://www.arlenness.com/pdf/15-658.pdf

I feel that the pressure is more important than the temp. There are kits that will put an oil pressure gauge in a tee where the oil pressure idiot light is and you do not need any mount or plumbing for it that way.

The temp is good also but that can be handled with a temp dipstick, the analog ones are more reliable than the digital ones. Many of the digital ones have gone belly up after a short time in service.

Here's the PDF for the Arlen ness setup.

http://www.arlenness.com/pdf/15-658.pdf

Thank you 'glider'. That's the kind of advise I am looking for. I believe I've read posts in the past that the H-D Digital Oil Temp Dipstick was not to be relied upon so I was leaning towards the Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge Kit but I didn't know if it would be any better than the H-D dipstick. I know H-D markets an Oil Pressure Gauge also but I kinda like the looks of the A/N one.

Just for my information, are you using either/or of these devices on your ride? Thanks again.

Tom

Tom

I don't have either on my bike. I know they run hot and when I get a chance I may put an oil cooler on it if need be. They don't offer an analog temp unit for the 07 and I will not buy the digital.

I've had both on previous bikes and watching them will drive you nuts:D

I've heard nothing but problems related with the digital, so I'd avoid it at all costs.

Seems like you and Glider have answered the question for me (unless someone else has input as to which one) and I'm kinda glad about that because I like the looks of the pressure gauge and the fact that I can more easily monitor it from a riding position. I know most all cars & trucks have a oil pressure gauge and not a temp. gauge so there must be something to that. Tks.:)

Just had to add that I have been using an H-D digital gauge on mine now for about 2 years, and alls well so far.
I also have the H-D premium oil cooler installed with the thermostatic bypass valve, and on a real hot day the temp may hit 215-220 F. Otherwise it sits around 180-185 F. I was told the thermostat opens at about 180 and pushes the oil thru the cooler. Below that the oil bypasses the cooler.

So maybe the early digital gauges had issues that have since been corrected?

Rod

AutoMeter Pro Comp Liquid filled gages
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_ind.asp?Type=Trans_Oil_Temp&Series=Pro_Comp&PN=ATM-5451
5451_d.jpg

This is a racing oil pressure gage, they also have temp and about any other gage you could want and they will live with the vibes Harley's make!

With everyone saying the 96's are running hot I'm just putting on a cooler plus both a oil pressure and oil temp guage on the Decker. Don't really need the air pressure guage. Smile as you ride.

hello Tom i have a 07 Road King Classic that runs much hotter:shock than my 2005 RKC so i added an H-D premium oil cooler. i always install oil pressure gauges on anything with an engine. i have the H-D oil gauge as well. but i think the Arlen Ness one looks nicer.also if you do install a pressure gauge make sure it only gos to 60lbs anything higher and it will be hard to get a good read on it on the fly.when i first start the bike {cold} it is at 50 lbs at idle. when it is at running temp and I'm riding it {2500 RPM}the pressure is at 40 lbs it drops to 10lbs at idle this is with 20-50 oil . i also have the H-D digital oil temp & oil level gauge this is my second one and if i had to do it again i would save the $100.00 dollars and go with an analog one just my 2 cents hope this helps:D

also have the H-D digital oil temp & oil level gauge this is my second one and if i had to do it again i would save the $100.00 dollars and go with an analog one just my 2 cents hope this helps:D

I think you'll find that there isn't an analog gauge for the 07 RK, only digital.

Back