free website stats program Momentary hesitation (hiccup) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Momentary hesitation (hiccup)

Sounds exactly what was happening to my '10 FLHTCU last year. The problem turned out to be an intake leak where manifold seals to jug on the rear cylinder. Spray some non flammable brake cleaner around the manifold flanges while the bike is running, if it stumbles or stalls, you have an intake leak.

Reading your posts in greater detail...

Your O2 sensors should have been bypassed in a way that the ECU does not know they are out. I don't have a closed loop system, so I don't know what Dobeck supplies.

You might check all of the connectors for good seating, from the ECU to the O2 sensors and CKP sensor. You might look at the schematic and see if those items share a common fuse supply to their high sides. Hoople would be a better source for specifics...

Enjoy,
Rich P

That's what I was wondering too...running same tuner (GEN3) on my 09 FLHX and w/O2 bypass (clips) I get "0" P-series codes. Don't believe this is the OP's issue, but shouldn't see any codes from the tuner when bypassed...

The O2 sensors are completely removed from the bike and when I spoke with Matt from Dobeck he said the O2 sensor codes were "normal" because the sensors have been removed. On earlier model bikes I believe they use to supply a connector with a resistor in it however he had said these connectors weren't required for my bike.

As far as the injector wire wiggle test, Just let the bike idle and warm up and move the wires around? I assume the engine rpms would change if this is the problem?

I will talk with someone about performing the pressure test and have them check the fuel lines and the pressure regulator.

I will check the connections for good seating, ECU to the O2 sensors and CKP sensor and I will also check the fuses.

I will check for intake leaks around the jug and manifold.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Okay, now you guys have me wondering too! Mine did 10 or 12 of those misses coming back from Sturgis(1360 miles) last week! First couple surprised me and then when it didn't just die, I figured it was something to just keep an eye on! Hot, cold, steady speed, up hill, and down doesn't seem to make much difference! Full tank through almost empty doesn't matter! Still working it and will check all your recommendations! It's my work ride and no noticeable misses since back to work. You guys are GREAT! Thanks!

I know you're setup is different, but I had the same symptoms when my power commander went south.

Another member had suggested I disconnected the ground wire which takes the GEN 3.0 out of the system, I did and still had the problem.

I checked the connections for good seating and didn't find anything that was loose.

I sprayed a little WD40 around the intake and exhaust and the bike didn't stumble.

I wiggled the injector wires while running and no changes.

I will hopefully be able to get the bike to an HD mechanic on Saturday morning. This guy recently started his own business and was the top mechanic at one of dealers. I was also ask about the pressure test, the fuel lines, fuel filter and the pressure regulator.

Any other suggestions?

Sounds similar to a problem I had earlier this summer. I went through most of the checks you have performed without finding any problem. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the IAC. Problem went away. I cannot say for sure which one fixed the issue because I did both at the same time, but if I had to guess, I think it was cleaning the IAC.

Back