free website stats program Momentary hesitation (hiccup) | Harley Davidson Forums

Momentary hesitation (hiccup)

bbass

I have a 2010 Roadglide custom which has ran great for the last 22,000 miles. While cruising in the 2200 to 2800 rpm range the bike has a momentary hesitation (hiccup) without a lost in rpms, any thoughts? The bike doesn't have any problems starting. The following modifications had been done after the first 1000 miles. Screaming eagle air kit, 2009 stock HD head pipe with the O2 sensors eliminated, V&H mufflers, Dobeck Performance EJK Gen 3.0 tuner.

I retrieved the codes below from speedometer:

The P0031, P0134, P0154 codes all make sense since the O2 sensors have been removed.

I have checked the battery voltage with the ignition off 13.08 volts, with ignition on 12.36 volts, at idle 14.16 volts, at 3000 rpms 14.28 volts.

I have done a resistance test of the CKP Sensor and it read 971 - 1025 ohms.

I have cleaned the pintle port in the throttle body.

I have also run a 1/3 of a bottle of fuel injector on the last tank of gas.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

DTC: P0031
FAULT CONDITION: O2 heater low/open
PRIORITY ORDER: 82
SOLUTION: 6.7 DTC P0031,P0032,P0131,P0132,P0134,P0151,P0152,P0154

DTC: P0134
FAULT CONDITION: Front O2 sensor open/not responding
PRIORITY ORDER: 88

DTC: P0154
FAULT CONDITION: Rear O2 sensor open/not responding
PRIORITY ORDER: 89

DTC: P0505
FAULT CONDITION: Loss of Idle Sped Control
PRIORITY ORDER: 76
SOLUTION: 6.12 DTC P0505

DTC: P0113
FAULT CONDITION: IAT Sensor Voltage Open/High
PRIORITY ORDER: 59
SOLUTION: 6.4 DTC P0107,P0108,P0112,P0113

DTC: P0374
FAULT CONDITION: CKP Sensor Synch Error
PRIORITY ORDER: 21
SOLUTION: 6.9 DTC P0373,P0374

I had a issue with mine doing pretty much the same thing. I made some minor adjustments on my gen3 (green mode/more fuel) and it took care of the problem.

How does it run with the ground wire from the Gen 3 off or does it not run at all then?

I had a issue with mine doing pretty much the same thing. I made some minor adjustments on my gen3 (green mode/more fuel) and it took care of the problem.

I spoke with Matt at Dobeck yesterday and he suggested bumping up the green mode which I did last night and the bike actually ran worse.

How does it run with the ground wire from the Gen 3 off or does it not run at all then?

Matt suggested this today, if it stops raining here I will do this tonight and see how the bike reacts.

Jack thank you for the suggestions.

I spoke with Matt at Dobeck yesterday and he suggested bumping up the green mode which I did last night and the bike actually ran worse.

Matt suggested this today, if it stops raining here I will do this tonight and see how the bike reacts.

Jack thank you for the suggestions.
It can be a real pain to get the right settings. I was all over the map and it kept running worse until I brought it back to factory settings and started over. Now I have it pretty spot on but mine has a lot more done to it then yours. Jack had a good suggestion, try that and see if helps your issue. Good luck and let us know the results.

I might also suggest if you think it's a tuner issue get a hold of BUBBIE on the forum, he's our resident dobeck wizard.

It can be a real pain to get the right settings. I was all over the map and it kept running worse until I brought it back to factory settings and started over. Now I have it pretty spot on but mine has a lot more done to it then yours. Jack had a good suggestion, try that and see if helps your issue. Good luck and let us know the results.

I will report back on taking the GEN 3.0 out of the system. In my case I put the GEN 3.0 on the bike with the factory settings from Dobeck and the bike ran great for 22,000 miles.

Took the GEN 3.0 out of the system and cleared the codes. I went for a 20 mile test ride and I still have the momentary hesitation (hiccup) issue. The P0134, P0154, P0505 and P0031 codes came back. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

If she is not throwing codes, what you describe could be caused by the early stages of an intermittent injector connection (bad crimp on the connector at the injector, or a broken wire inside the insulation), or low pressure in your fuel rail (frequently caused by a rub hole in the inside-the-tank fuel line). The symptoms of these problems can be pretty much identical. Closed loop fuel systems should throw a code if the right mix cannot be attained. Open loop systems may not throw a code for fuel pressure problems. Intermittent injector connections may not throw a code until they get pretty bad (the ECU averages what it sees at the injector drivers).

Intermittent injector connections will require a "wiggle test" to find, and may be quite hard to find. Many times the engine must be hot for the insulation to soften up enough for the intermittent connection ot manifest. That makes it a bit un-handy to to get your hands in where they need to be to do the test.

Low fuel rail pressure is easier to find. Your dealer should be able to do a comprehensive pressure test (for the minimum labor fee). An indy may be able to do it for you as well.

I have seen what you describe also caused by a sticking fuel pressure regulator. However, this is usually indicated by hick-ups that occur when going at a consistent speed/rpm, then increasing the fuel demand (throttle) from there.

Good luck,
Rich P

Reading your posts in greater detail...

Your O2 sensors should have been bypassed in a way that the ECU does not know they are out. I don't have a closed loop system, so I don't know what Dobeck supplies.

You might check all of the connectors for good seating, from the ECU to the O2 sensors and CKP sensor. You might look at the schematic and see if those items share a common fuse supply to their high sides. Hoople would be a better source for specifics...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back