free website stats program Molex Electrical Connector Issues -- Please Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Molex Electrical Connector Issues -- Please Help

LtDan1

Hi all,

Trying to change the bars on my '08 RG and go with internal wiring while I'm at it. Have the RH & LH switch wires all out of the bike and on my dining table with new bars nearby. Have suggested replacement TBW sensor in the new bars. All I can see that it does is eliminate the little green connector inside the bar, and when trying to pull the other wires through, that may be a good thing.

Problem 1): On the molex connectors, when I try to use the needlenose pliars as shown to pull up the (secondary lock?) plate, it doesn't budge. Are the tips of the pliars supposed to be activating any kind of "release mechanism" or "catch", or are they just supposed to grab the little center bridge between the 2 holes (holes for needlenose ends) and yank hard enough to pull the plate up?

Problem 2) they (HD shop manual) show a molex terminal removal tool with an HD part #. I called the dealer and they say it hasn't been "released for sale." -- They (well -- never mind -- I might get profane and bounced off the forum. )

So I've been to self help and also searched the forum for what to do about these terminals. On an older string, someone recommended a tool by (lisle?) but someone else posted following to say that particular tool would not work with these particular connectors. Nobody disputed that or posted a link to another tool that will work with these connectors. In the self-help section, there was a reference to the same tool, sold by JP cycles -- but if it's not the right idea for these connectors, I'd much prefer to find/buy the right idea. Any tips, advice, leads appreciated. I'll be offline for a few hours, but will be back hoping for help. Thanks to all.

use a flat blade screwdriver to lift up the secondary lock then a small pick to lift the lock tab on the pins

Thank you both for replies. I ended up going to a computer place that deals with Molex connecters and they showed me the process. Having seen it in action, was a little embarrassed at not figuring that out without asking. Following that, AFTER pulling a set of touring wires through a 1" handlebar, I broke the volume control switch for the stereo. (That's what happens when you decide to fudge on the "Do Not Pry" warnings posted all over the switch-cap-removal instructions!) So -- got to pull that bundle of wiring back out of 1" bars -- and now waiting 7-10 days for the $59.00 switch to come in --- Then I can get started again. But I did that to myself. argg. Again, thank you both for the replies.

Back