free website stats program Moisture on A bike in the garage during winter | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Moisture on A bike in the garage during winter

Well that may be the case in jersey but there are some dealers here in Wisc. that really do take care of your bike.They do provide a area for your bike and some will let you take it out on warmer days.

dj, maybe the gel will absorb all of the moisture, I've never tried it that way, but I promise you that sealing the bike in plastic will create a green house with a rain forest in it. If the gel pervents that, please let us know. An interesting twist.
Mac

I'm considering wrapping the whole bike in sealed 8 mil plastic. To take care of the condensation, I have a gallon of silica gel that I'd seal in with the bike. I figure if I pick a nice dry cold day to wrap it, it should be fine.
I should add that our average temperature goes above and below freezing regularly - usually with moist air. So condensation is often seen on the bike, but usually disappears reqularly.
Anybody tried this?

I have done this exactly. I also covered the bike with quilts or blankets and it worked great. Make sure you get a good seal where you bring the plastic together. I rolled the seam tightly and clamped it with clothes pins.

In an unheated uninsulated environment, your bike is cold, when warmer air (warmer air carries more moisture) hits those cold surfaces, condensation occurs. What the plastic does is set up a tight vapor barrier, plus the blankets help to insulate the bike from extreme temp changes. Any condensation that happens will be on the outside of the plastic. Same as vapor barriers in houses in reverse.

Are you using a cover?? I mentioned in the other thread that I used a bed sheet and noticed it was always wet. I just stopped using the cover and it has been fine. I wipe down all the chrome once or twice a month with a little Windex and some polish.

My best explanation is that if you keep your bike in a warm or semi warm garage and then you open the garage door to cold air, you got yourself instant condensation on the bike. You should notice that when you push the bike out of the warm garage into the cold air that the chrome is hazed over. That is where the problem lies IMO..
I was told to try this trick. and so far it works, I need to keep my 04 lowrider in the same shed as my snow blower. Sad i know but i am forced too. Andhow I have a huge cloth i thgrow over the bike and then i took a trouble light and set a 40 watt light into the socket. The bike is always 15-20 degrees warmer than the outside and have never had condensation start on the bike.

SCRINCH, you didn't say if you put the gel in with the bike? Very interesting, I would have thought this method would really create a lot of moisture, but your explanation makes sence.

Glider Thanks I found it Im not sure how . There is a ton of stuff here on this site
Thanks
Roy

Yes I cover mine with a sheet . Your righ the only way to avoid the condensation is to make a heated area for the bike . I think I am going to do mine this weekend
Roy
I am trying for the first time on this problem. I always cover my bike with a huge painters blanket and then took a trouble light with a 40 watt bulb in it. Stuck the trouble light under the bike and turned it on. It keeps the air under the cover from condensation, while it warms the oil. And it is always 15-20 degrees warmer than outside.

I just make sure I ride mine often enough not to worry about it. 71 degree's here today! BBBAAAHHHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! LOL! Took it to the HD shop today and bought highway pegs. Installed in the parking lot, then rode for a couple hours.

SCRINCH, you didn't say if you put the gel in with the bike? Very interesting, I would have thought this method would really create a lot of moisture, but your explanation makes sence.

Yes, I picked a dry day and put in a whole bunch of silica gel when I wrapped it. My garage was unheated and uninsulated, and on a slab and before that I would come out on warmer days and the bike would be just dripping with moisture.

Back