free website stats program Moisture on A bike in the garage during winter | Harley Davidson Forums

Moisture on A bike in the garage during winter

RTK88

Hi I'm new here I was reading a thread that somebody had posted about moisture forming on their bike during winter .
How would I find that thread
Regards,
Roy Kennedy

Are you using a cover?? I mentioned in the other thread that I used a bed sheet and noticed it was always wet. I just stopped using the cover and it has been fine. I wipe down all the chrome once or twice a month with a little Windex and some polish.

My best explanation is that if you keep your bike in a warm or semi warm garage and then you open the garage door to cold air, you got yourself instant condensation on the bike. You should notice that when you push the bike out of the warm garage into the cold air that the chrome is hazed over. That is where the problem lies IMO..

Glider Thanks I found it Im not sure how . There is a ton of stuff here on this site
Thanks
Roy

Are you using a cover?? I mentioned in the other thread that I used a bed sheet and noticed it was always wet. I just stopped using the cover and it has been fine. I wipe down all the chrome once or twice a month with a little Windex and some polish.

My best explanation is that if you keep your bike in a warm or semi warm garage and then you open the garage door to cold air, you got yourself instant condensation on the bike. You should notice that when you push the bike out of the warm garage into the cold air that the chrome is hazed over. That is where the problem lies IMO..
Yes I cover mine with a sheet . Your righ the only way to avoid the condensation is to make a heated area for the bike . I think I am going to do mine this weekend
Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years I have tryed many diffrent things when doing cold storage to a motorcycle , I found rather then trying to condition the area of storage or fight the condensation with out heating the area is to seal the actual chrome parts , there is a product on the market in spray form that I use on all my bikes with excellent results , all you do is spay it on clean chrome, it drys clear and forms a seal that will keep the moisture from attacking your chrome & aluminum, I have some older bikes and this stuff guards them from rusting, this is the name ( Chrome Guard ) from (pits stop technologies)

Crocker : Id be willing to try that .It seems that its working well for you . Do you need to reapply it through the winter ?
I also took plastic sandwich bags and doubled twisted a rubberband and put them over the ends of my pipes to keep moisture from getting up into there as well
I think I will google that product and give it a try . What about all the places on the frame where condensation can attack and rust /corrode Do you spray that stuff everywhere and on painted surfaces ?
I have a bunch of extra lumber sitting around so I may just build a little heated space anyway
Roy

I must be one of the luckiest guys here when it comes to winter storage,my bike is kept in a secure garage(cameras,security,resident only access)(exept me)its underground,and vented,with grilled roller shutters at both ends.Never a sign of the slightest condensation,regardless of the weather,and I can come and go as I please to keep my baby clean and shiney!:newsmile090:

The trouble with a spray as I see it...is that you can't get the spray on the back of chrome pieces. I bought my bike used and it was always garaged and the chrome looks good, but upon taking chrome things off for a triple tree replacement I have found a lot of the chrome is rusting on the back surfaces. It is only a matter of time until that comes trough and caused the chrome to blister on the front. imho

As I said over on the "wet bike" post, since I uncovered mine and parked it on plywood, haven't had much of a problem with the sweeting. It tried to start one evening and I placed a small fan blowing over the bike and that stopped it.
I would think that placing plastic bags over the pipes would tend to create condensation. ie; condensation will form in your gas tank, which is sealed. Thats way you should always store your bike in winter with the tank full and use Sta-bil if you plan a long lay up.
just my 2 cents worth, Mac

I'm considering wrapping the whole bike in sealed 8 mil plastic. To take care of the condensation, I have a gallon of silica gel that I'd seal in with the bike. I figure if I pick a nice dry cold day to wrap it, it should be fine.
I should add that our average temperature goes above and below freezing regularly - usually with moist air. So condensation is often seen on the bike, but usually disappears reqularly.
Anybody tried this?

Back