free website stats program Moisture in the Speedometer | Harley Davidson Forums

Moisture in the Speedometer

iceman48

Is there an easy way to dry out the speedometer. ON cold days mine fogs up from moisture. Do they come apart so it can be dried.

Is there an easy way to dry out the speedometer. ON cold days mine fogs up from moisture. Do they come apart so it can be dried.

Both my tach and speedo (FXDX) do this. Of course it started after i rolled the bike ina ditch and trim ring got damage causing the units not to be sealed anymore.Only does it on cold days. All of them are sealed units and cannot be disassembled. A hair dryer wil work but is not permanent, as the moisture will probably return from condensation. Replacement would be the next option i think? might find one on ebay pretty cheap but mileage will not be correct.

This is not a perfect fix but ought to do the trick for a while. Try taking off the speedo, or whole panel if you find that easier, and store if for a month in a air tight bag with a bag of dry-z-air in with it. Obviously you have to poke a few hols in the bag of dry-z-air but I wouldn't just dump it on the parts...

hd says this normal and sunlight will decrease the condensation. there is a weep hole on the back. otherwise you have to un-crimp the metal ring from the plastic base, dry it, re install, and wait this occur again. which it will.

hd says this normal and sunlight will decrease the condensation. there is a weep hole on the back. otherwise you have to un-crimp the metal ring from the plastic base, dry it, re install, and wait this occur again. which it will.

Yeah normal but unacceptable! :bigsmiley29: Mine did this too however, I was able to get my dealer to replace both speedo and tach.

Back