free website stats program Moisture in the oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Moisture in the oil

firestorm

I have noticed when checking my oil I am getting moisture up in the neck at the top causing white oil. I have the 03 Road King Classic is this normal? Should I do an oil change (planning on it anyways). I have never seen this and want to make sure nothing majorly wrong with the bike.

Thanks
Jesse

I do short trips to work and longer trips when I can. I thank I have a bad plug too; I am going to replace the plugs tomorrow. So what is the best way to prevent the moister?

Thanks

Jesse

Longer rides. The earlier 88 TC's don't heat up that much or very fast. Every time you shut the bike off it cools off and this creates a vacuum. This draws air into the crank and the moisture condenses out into the oil. When you ride, the oil heats up and "boils" the moisture out of the oil. The longer you ride, the more gets boiled out. The less you ride (shorter trips) the more accumulates. If you cannot ride for longer or if you ride in cooler temps, you need to change the oil more often.
Water repels oil, so if there is water on vital moving parts, there will be no oil on that part. If you have no oil on that part, failure is not a matter of if so much as it is when.

Do a search on this subject. A member just asked this question a few days ago.
But the jist was to drain oil and clean out tank with sea foam, and then do an oil change.
Would be better to do a few oil changes so use cheaper dino oil then go with syn if that is what you use. (also sea foam in oil will help get rid of moisture. I'd use in dino oil then stop when I put syn back in).
Is this a new bike to you? Guess what I'm asking is this white oil new or did you change??? jobs that ride is shorter....riding style.....start it up in driveway and not ride it??? stuff like that. But ultra is correct. Take the long way home from work to heat up the bike to get rid of moisture.

Looked below in similar threads and found what I was talking about. Hope it helps.

Moisture in oil? - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited:
If you can't drive it much longer, try to drive it a little more aggressive, use the higher rpm's, that can help get it up to temp quicker. But the reason is there, you need to take the long way home.

Toby

You need to run it longer to burn off the condensation all internal combustion engines produce water vapors it is a by product of the combustion cycle, longer rides and or running time as long as not to over heat the motor should get rid of the moisture

Change the oil more frequently and that will help.

Moisture accumulation in the crank case is not unusual especially if the motorcycle is not long enough to get it good and hot.

Ride the motorcycle for at least half an hour to get it good and warm before changing out the old oil.

Most of that milky sludge will drain out with the old oil when it is hot. Refill with fresh oil and you are good to go.

hm mm have you checked 2 make sure you don't have oil in your radiator? sure hope not this could meen u have a blown head gasket....LOL i couldn't resist had to do it...just s joke the V-ROD is the only HD in current production with a radiator...the rest are air cooled. but i do agree short rides are very very bad for any engine not just an HD. change your oil @1500 miles max or change your riding style. either 1 will work but think about it this way. a 30min ride after work ....man you can clear your head forget the stress. come home in a better mood. the advantages of a 30min ride after work are endless or you could just change your oil every 1500 miles,,,,

Back