free website stats program Moisture in oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Moisture in oil?

I have a problem and I think it is water in my oil tank. As the engine runs white/cream colored foam emerges from the oil cap. Is it water or something else that I need to worry about. Any and all advice welcome.

Well, kind of. I bought it from a guy at work and he is not able (physically) to kick start it anymore. He dry stored it for 3 years. I got it running late last fall and that's when I noticed the foam. I drained the bike and garaged it for winter. Now with Spring on the way I've got the weather and day light to get it out and start getting things right so I can get back to riding.

Probably just condensing water forming an emulsion while the engine/oil are cold. I would run it up to operating temperature and keep it that way for a while. This should drive off all the water. Then change the oil. I know you just put that oil in there, but not worth taking a chance on it.

TQ

Well, kind of. I bought it from a guy at work and he is not able (physically) to kick start it anymore. He dry stored it for 3 years. I got it running late last fall and that's when I noticed the foam. I drained the bike and garaged it for winter. Now with Spring on the way I've got the weather and day light to get it out and start getting things right so I can get back to riding.

What year bike? Kick start?

If I read it correctly and I have seen it before in older bikes. The oil tank has a lot of built up Cream from moisture... Right? If it were mine , I would drop the oil tank and completely clean it out. Dry it and start from there..

OR this might work;
IF you can get a rag into the oil tank enough to capture the Frosting off the top and edges that would also do...

I have taken cheese cloth pieces attached to a heavy, bendable wire to clean inside & top of oil tank... (careful of loose threads)

The big problem starts on Some of these bikes when they don't get Warmed enough to cook out the moisture...

The other Owner Might of started the bike Just to Hear it run and-or show it off to people. By not riding it up to a hot temperature REQUIRED,,,, that start and stop caused a lot of moisture to build up and it all shows up in the oil tank...

Dry it the best you can, the cream wont dissipate to my knowledge as the oil tank doesn't get hot enough.. If it does Mix with the oil, another bad thing as it goes thru the engine.

signed....BUBBIE

Agree with Bubbie, once the white stuff is in the oil tank you have to clean it out. It does not get hot enough, so when I drain the oil out when hot for a routine oil change I spray the inside of the oil tank with WD-40, coat a white t-shirt rag with Marvel Mystery Oil and swab it down inside as best I can. On my Sporty, the oil bag is plastic, and really don't want to disassemble taking a chance on damaging things...just my way! :D

Condensation is a by product of the internal combustion engine, and short rides will produce a lot of water vapors in the oil. You can flush the oil tank with Kerosene or do multiple oil changes. The older H D manuals called out for flushing the oil tanks

I thought that's what it was but just wasn't sure. Just needed some input. Thanks to all who posted and the quick response. It is greatly appreciated.

I thought that's what it was but just wasn't sure. Just needed some input. Thanks to all who posted and the quick response. It is greatly appreciated.
Well Good anyway,,, What model and year of that bike.. Kick Start got me wondering.. I know of a few Newer bikes that put on a after market Kick on them and wondered... Is it a 74 XLCH?

signed....BUBBIE

No, its a 1965. I'm refitting it to make her pretty again. She doesn't look like much right now, but a little time money and tlc and she will look good again.

Back