free website stats program Moisture in my $385 Harley LED Aux. Lamps | Harley Davidson Forums

Moisture in my $385 Harley LED Aux. Lamps

gusotto

Earlier, I installed the Harley LED Aux. Lamps (PN 73396-10) in my Ultra. I already had the Kuryakyn LED Headlight but decided to swap to the Harley LED HL. I liked the looks of the Harley HL better.

I heard there was a moisture problem with the early Harley LED HL (PN 73390-10) but that was rectified with PN 73390-10A. The Harley HL has been moisture free but not so with my LED Aux Lights. I go for a ride and they are full of moisture. I bought the Aux. lights this spring, well before riding time. It was a winter project. Can't ride so I might as well add some things from Harley.

After taking the bike out this spring, I've had moisture in the lights every time. Took it to the dealer because I wanted the problem noted. He was going to mention it to his rep. It's been a few months and nothing mentioned to me regarding my problem.

Noticed in the new 2012 P&A catalog that the LED Aux. Lights have a new PN 73396-10A! I'm assuming the added "A" is to fix the moisture problem.

My dealer is working with me and ordered some replacement lights. Hope to have them this week. Even though I'm past the 90 warranty (JW Speaker, the company that makes them gives 4 years limited warranty) my dealer is trying to right the problem. I did bring it to their attention this spring when riding started. Kind of makes a person wary of adding items that can't be tested because of the time of year and your warranty is running while the bike has been put away for winter.

Mentioned the problem to JW Speaker and they took my name and # but never heard anything from them.

Attached are pictures. Each moisture filled aux. light, the clear HL and all three lights together.
We haven't had rain for weeks and this is on an 80+ degree day.

Attachments

• fog lights moisture 001.jpg
    fog lights moisture 001.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 80
  • fog lights moisture 002.jpg
    fog lights moisture 002.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 75
  • fog lights moisture 003.jpg
    fog lights moisture 003.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 74
  • fog lights moisture 004.jpg
    fog lights moisture 004.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 72
Looking at the part # it would appear that you were not the only one having moisture problems. Keep us posted on how your dealer handles this.

the black ones do it to and of course the dealer hasnt heard anything about it

Do the Aux lights come without the chrome housing or are they sold as a complete assembly?

If that's the case, look at the backside of the lamp and see if there is a small paper dot (maybe 3/8") covering a hole in the glass envelope. That is the purging hole for the glass envelope.

There was one in my new 5 3/4" headlight that I used to defog it. I was not shipped the "A" version headlight even though the new version was out. Had to purge it myself. That was a couple of months ago and it's been fine.

Do you think the hole (if one is there) should be covered or open?
I think there is more to it than this, otherwise there wouldn't be "A" part numbers.

Do you think the hole (if one is there) should be covered or open?
I think there is more to it than this, otherwise there wouldn't be "A" part numbers.

The hole should be covered but only after the inside of the envelope has been dehydrated of moisture and purged with dry nitrogen. Then the hole is covered with aluminum tape. It's a common practice used in the lighting industry to keep surface coated mirrors from going bad.
It worked like a champ for me with my fogging 5-3/4" headlight.

If you can get your dealer to exchange them out, that's Great. I was only telling you what you can do if you get stuck with the ones you have. But it sounds like your dealer is working with you on it so go with the updated new exchange units.

I had to work through my problem because I purchased my headlight mail order and I was stuck without any real support. JW Speaker told me I had to deal with Harley for my problem. Dealing with the mail order company I used would have been a can of worms. It was just easier for me to purge them and be done with it. If I had known about the "A" version, I would have ordered it, but I had no clue about it until it was too late.

gusotto; any particular condition(s) you've noticed that are causing this to appear - just norm humidity, after washing, after riding...?? If it's just appearing from nowhere - gotta be flaw w/bulb manufacturing (like Hoop indicates). Let us know the outcome w/your dealer.

Back