free website stats program moisture/dirt streaks inside guages | Harley Davidson Forums

moisture/dirt streaks inside guages

B-1B_Guy

Fellas,

Bought a new '09 Ultra. Speedometer must have gotten moisture/dirt inside the guage glass. Very probably because I ride it every day, rain or shine. Well, the moisture dried out and left a dirty streak inside my glass and it makes me "highly upset" every time I look at the speedometer. Stopped by my dealer today and was told it "probably wouldn't be covered because it was cosmetic". I told them to call whoever they needed to but I didn't pay over $20K for a scooter to put up with a problem like this. Of course, "they understand" but....we need to call Milwaukee. Anyone else had this problem? Any luck getting it covered under the warranty? Let me know. Thanks in advance.

This is an age old problem with these bikes. It's been happening for years with no satisfactory results as to a cure.

Glider,

I understand; however, on a brand new bike it should be covered under the warranty. I'll let you guys know how it "the upcoming battle" turns out. The old "it's always been that way" excuse just isn't acceptable, especially in today's economy when everyone is fighting for the almighty dollar.

It happened on my Hondas,Kawis and Suzukis ,if you drill a 1/8 hole in the base of the plastic backing of the guage it won't allow condensation to form anymore

My 06 did the same thing H-D Waranted 1 time I traded the bike of an 08 that has never done it. I have been in rain a few times with the 08 but never power washed it. My 07 I used to power wash at the car wash. Before the 07 I honda it did it to.

Power washing isn't a good thing to use on a bike. There's many plugs and places where the powerfull stream can infiltrate and cause a problem.

It used to bother me to look at my speedo or fuel guage and see the condensation but no more. I thought about taking the lens off and polishing it but decided that it would be worse after. Came back from Florida a couple of years back in monsoon rains and when I unloaded the bke there was a pool of water in the speedo. I waited for a week for it to dry but it never did. I finally take the hair dryer and that dried it up. So now it don't bother me.

I used to power wash after reading not to on this forum I quit. Now when it's really dirty I use a bucket of soapy water (car wash soap not dish soap) and a soft brush. Rinse with running water from hose, no high pressure nozel. Towel and blow dry. If its not very dirty pledge or other quick detailer and a microfiber cloth. Works for me no problems.

You've got me thinking. I have something going on in my gauges but never thought it could have come from condensation from inside. I just assumed something got used on them when cleaning although I have never used anything other than soap and water or pledge to clean them. Let the investigation begin!

You would think bike manufacturers could find a solution to the problem B1B mentions. Obviously, the MOCO doesn't seem interested in solving this. IMO there are too many excuses on what are "acceptable" defects in bikes costing $18K +. But...........we keep buying 'em despite the problems.:D

My '03's speedo has the same issures. When I put a tach on the bike the moisture in the tach was even worse. The dealer did replace the tach and the newer tach was much better. Guess I should be happy for that.

Back