free website stats program Mobile1 vs. Syn3 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mobile1 vs. Syn3

I have a 2004 with 20K miles on it and starting about 5K -7k miles ago the front brakes began to feel spongy and had a lot of play. I replaced the brake fluid and bleed the lines several times but the "excess play" would not improve. I then replaced the master cylinder piston and still no improvement? Do you have any suggestions?

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I'm not posting correctly. I tried to post in brake forum but couldn't find the correct tab.

Thanks,

Mark

Amsoil even has a letter from harley that says its ok to use in them on their site..

Absolutely!I have a copy of that letter that states "The use of a different brand of oil does not void etc etc ---unless it can be confirmed that the use of such products was the cause of the failure"
Further,check out the fall 2007 issue of the'Enthusiast"(Harley's magazine).Go to page 10 and see the quote from one Larry Gutjahr- P&A Lubricants Category Manager who when was asked specifically if the non use of SYN 3
would impact on the warranty,replied:'No,thats not true.We cannot and would not void a warranty for use of another brand of oil'

He goes on to say the service history would be reviewed as would be the design and manufacturing of the failed component.He did say that if the failure reflected IMPROPER lubrication,then warranty would be denied.

A bit verbose, and long winded,but it tells a story that may help someone.:s

Did you ask to speak with the owner and let hime know what kind of thing his or her employees were tring to pull and why you would be findinga new dealer?
Messed up dealers like that are there only because people allow them to be.
I must really be lucky to live in Wisconsin the home of HD. I have never had a dealer try to pull anything like this on me or anyone I know.

I haven't had this happen to me at a Harley dealer, yet ......

But chances are, if the employees are saying such things to customers, the owner will be the same way.

True story - a few years back I had vibration problems pop up on a new Astro van that had just had it's 6000 mile service at the dealer, which included a tire rotate and balance. Long, painful story short - we had the van back to the dealer about 6 times over the course of a couple months before it was fixed. At one point on a test ride with the Service Manager, I told him the problem did not start until after the dealer had done the rotate and balance service. He stated (and this is a verbatim quote);

"Sir, rotating and balancing your tires can in NO WAY effect vehicle vibration." :newsmile070:
Huh? Say what, I asked? And he repeated the same words. :small3d011:

When I talked to the owner of the dealership later and told him what his service manager was trying to lay on his customers, the owner just laughed and said that the manager was under a lot of pressure. He thought is was funny that his service manager was either a liar, or a totally uninformed idiot.

Needless to say, I told Mr. Dealer Owner that I would NEVER purchase another vehicle from him, and would lobby to persuade anyone else I could not to buy there, both of which I have done for about 17 years now.

Did you ask to speak with the owner and let hime know what kind of thing his or her employees were tring to pull and why you would be findinga new dealer?
Messed up dealers like that are there only because people allow them to be.
I must really be lucky to live in Wisconsin the home of HD. I have never had a dealer try to pull anything like this on me or anyone I know.

I did have words with ours he told me he dint care go somewhere else.. i told him not a problem

Doesn't it just make you laugh how stupid these people can be by telling you to go somewhere else when THEY are wrong?

Was that the owner or service manager that said that?

Doesn't it just make you laugh how stupid these people can be by telling you to go somewhere else when THEY are wrong?

Was that the owner or service manager that said that?

The owner i went right to his office to talk to him .. i guess he figured since he owned both close dealers i was screwed .. well ya know that harley gets good gas mileage and i only bought from that dealer which is farther than the one down the road because they were giving away the most stuff

That's the way to do it and let him know you have quite a few friends that will no doubt be going elsewhere also.:s

The owner i went right to his office to talk to him .. i guess he figured since he owned both close dealers i was screwed .. well ya know that harley gets good gas mileage and i only bought from that dealer which is farther than the one down the road because they were giving away the most stuff

And the dealer's name is? Please let us know, I abhor the arrogance of some people. Without you, the customer, he is out of business. Spread the word.

There is another thread here for "Dealers You Wouldn't Recommend". Looking forward to see who made your list.

Back