free website stats program Mobile 1 75w90 or 75w140? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mobile 1 75w90 or 75w140?

I tried the Spectro for 6 speeds in my tranny and it was noisier than the M1 I was using....so, I went back to the M1 75-140 and next time I'm gonna go Valvoline since I'm so impressed with the VR1 I'm currently using.
TUCCI,

You may want to also read here on "Redline ShockProof Heavy".. Many here use it and I have promoted it here and on other sites as a BEST to use in the Harley trannys...

Link:
Redline shock Proof - Harley Davidson Community

signed....BUBBIE

I am currently using Royal Purple 75W90 in my transmission. Next oil change I will use the Royal purple 20W50 for the motor oil. I recently put BelRay 10W in the forks. From reading here oil is like opinions...everyone has one.

Just a thought on the oils we all use.

As far as using one oil in all three holes, yes it will work. So does a Swiss army knife, but I would rather a real saw, a real knife, and a real pair of scissors.

My 2 cents.

Ken

I may just try the bel ray.. I didn't want to use something that wasn't readily available but ever since my bike was new it is a loud bugger..the ratta tat tat of the valve train has always been loud...I used bel ray in all my race bikes when I was young and doing the whole motocross thing and loved it..I will have to
consider this..:eam

+1 on this...
I have changed my oil twice using the Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin oil, Spectro 10W-40 in the primary case and now Spectro 75W-140 in the transmission. All is well, but I've always had valve/tappet noise coming from under the tank. Of course, the dealership smiled and said "yep, it's a Harley." I'm not entirely sure I like that answer, to be honest... I think next oil change, I'll give the Bel-Ray a shot, myself...

Den

+1 on this...
I have changed my oil twice using the Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin oil, Spectro 10W-40 in the primary case and now Spectro 75W-140 in the transmission. All is well, but I've always had valve/tappet noise coming from under the tank. Of course, the dealership smiled and said "yep, it's a Harley." I'm not entirely sure I like that answer, to be honest... I think next oil change, I'll give the Bel-Ray a shot, myself...

Den

THIS IS the one of the biggest reasons I put in adjustable p. rods and Suggest to, even on a Stock motor...
You can adjust out Most noises that HD's "One Size Fits All" applicattion...

Think about it.

HD uses a pushrod that is Used on ALL (one size fits all)...

Not ALL parts, especially lifters, respond the same... No Way..:small3d002:

I use SE slender taper adjustables... Many who complained about Noise in the valve train and wanting to stay stock SWITCH to them and adjust out the little tic... Or a BIG tic..:D

The Big motor builders I know,,,,,Mostly use adjustable P Rods for a quieter motor. They want TO Be in the Control of an adjustment not on the Guess side like stock HD's....

That one size fits all is why Some are Quiet and Others have the Tic....

Get adjustables.

signed....BUBBIE

I've had good results with Mobil One 75W 90 in the past,, but now everyone seems to be running a 75W 140 instead. I've read that the 140 MAY be too thick for the 6 speed tranny. Anyone else still running Mobil One 75W 90 in a 6 speed? Thoughts?

Well, I found some Spectro Platinum 6 Speed at a dealer near my home, so I sprung the $20 and bought a quart. Put it in, rode about an hour, and I gotta say, this stuff is slick as butter on a hot knife! I was skeptical, and really wasn't sure if it was worth the money, but Mobil One 75w 140 is $18, so what's two more bucks. I'm sold. I've found my new tranny oil. Mechanic at the dealer says he runs NOTHING else in his bike, and only has to change it every 20,000 miles. He says it looks new when he drains it after the 20,000 miles!

fxdc1951'

A good Solid Choice.

The Tranny gear lubes would probably be good for a longer time in mileage. (40,000)

It took HD a Long while to just say 20,000 miles. Imagine the money they are missing out of on the old Ideas of change.

Some still change every other oil change... With the Redline ShockProof, I still do mine every other engine oil change OR 3 rd.:bigsmiley23:

Man that is a lot of riding.:D:D:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back