free website stats program Mobil 1 V Twin @ Amazon.com | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mobil 1 V Twin @ Amazon.com

Advanced Auto has a promotional sale on ALL synthetics about twice a year; five quarts plus a Mobil filter for $29.99. The Mobil M1-102 filter for the Lexus is the same size as the Harley filter and fits; I run them on both my bikes.

Apparently some stores push back on the VTwin product and claim that it is not part of the promotion but the promotional advertisement is very clear that ALL Mobil synthetics are included. So, check your local Advanced Auto for the promotion. I don't know how often they have it but I have seen it come up here in Texas in the last and first quarter of the year. If you get some pushback, just refer the human behind the counter to the advertisement.

There is no limit, so stock up when the promo comes around.

The Mobil M1-102 filter for the Lexus is the same size as the Harley filter and fits; I run them on both my bikes.

Just because it fits doesn't make it the right filter to use.

What's the micron rating and does it have an anti drain back valve and also what is the bypass spring pressure rating for it?

You can save $$ now and pay them later for repairs.

Just because it fits doesn't make it the right filter to use.

What's the micron rating and does it have an anti drain back valve and also what is the bypass spring pressure rating for it?

You can save $$ now and pay them later for repairs.

I understand and appreciate your concern but I build my own engines and I generally don't do anything that I think might damage the investement of cash and time and I am not pushing Mobil filters.

The point of the post is the oil deal. If the buyer doesn't want the filter, get one that fits the car or truck or don't get one at all. Five quarts of Mobil 1 VTwin 20w50 for $29.99 is still a deal and you can buy all you want at the price.

I edited this post to address the issues you posed that might be related to the use of anything but the H-D specified oil filter. If either of my bikes were still under warranty, I would not use anything but an H-D filter. But they are not and so I can do my own investigative research about alternatives and come to my own conclusions about the oil and filter that I run on my bikes. It’s not about saving a buck or two, it is about being informed enough to decide whether or not to buy into the MoCo hype about using their products, particularly lubricants and filters. The following are some of the conclusions I have come to based on reading and talking to various engineers in the business.

I don’t think there is any such thing as a motorcycle specific oil filter. Specifications are specifications and the fit the application or they don’t.

Mobil does not publish, or at least I have not been able to find it, a Beta micron rating for their oil filters. However, from what I have learned, I don’t think that any manufacturer of automotive oil filters produces an oil filter with a Beta of more than 2@5 microns which is nominal 50%, as I understand the data. Any higher beta would likely be too restrictive for most automotive or motorcycle lubrication systems. The MoCo specifies a micron rating for their filters but not an efficiency rating, without which, the micron rating doesn’t mean much.

As best I can determine, the bypass valve spring setting for the M1-102 filter is “similar” to the OEM spring setting. These valves are very low precision devices and their pop-off values are different from each other and vary even in identical filters of the same brand, so “similar” is close enough for me.

As for the anti drain back valve, most automotive oil filters have them because most filters are for multiple applications and mounting positions. I can’t say for sure whether or not the M1-102 filter does have this feature; I have never checked, but the filter is full to the brim when I change. I don't believe this feature doesn’t help/hurt the lubrication or filtering system and I don’t consider it much of a selling point.

Last edited:
Back