free website stats program Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 in all three holes | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 in all three holes

For all those using a Engine Oil In their Trannys...

Check the magnetic plug when you empty out tranny using Engine oil and You will see METAL on it.... Usually LOTS of metal.

Never EVER while I use Redline Shockproof Heavy have I had ANY metal on the magnetic plug.....

JUST a Gear Oil reduces wear on the tranny.. Engine oil IS ENGINE OIL..

signed....BUBBIE

I think what everyone is missing is that all GL5"s are not created equally. I know Mobil 1 doesn't recommend their GL5 for Harley transmissions but Amsoil and many others either recommend theirs saying no yellow metal corrision or just don't even address the subject. Personally,I have run both Mobil 1 and Amsoil 20/50 in all three holes with no problems, however due to all my reading on this and other sites I have changed my trans. to gear oil, now run Amsoil 20/50 in engine and primary and 75/140 in the trans. Transmission does shift better and is quieter. Don't rule out all GL5's just because some don't recommend the use of their products.

You CAN go to a GL4 and not have the worry about the yellow metal problems and GL4 Will do the job well on the 6 speeds.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
Further update. I'm still using the Mobil 1 20-50 in the engine, but switched to Mobil 1 10-40 in the primary - resulted in better clutch action and shifting when cold. I also changed out the tranny oil - nothing on the magnet approx 4000 miles on the oil. ( Had Mobil 1 20-50 in it ) and was changing the other holes so changed the tranny as well. I put in Mobil 1 10-40 ( the mc oil ) in the tranny. The 10-40 equated to a 75-90 gear oil on the viscosity charts so the viscosity should be fine as many use a 75-90 gear oil in the 6 speed.

I'll update my results & impressions.

Transmisison shifted better with the Mobil 1 10-40 but after doing more research find that the viscosity is too low at operating temp so changed both tranny & primary back to Mobil 1 20-50 W. Nothing was on the drain plugs of either, about 500 miles. Both of these oils are JASO MA certified for both wet clutches & transmissions.

As a point of interest the engineers at HD recommend either their Syn 3 or Primary + for these 6 speed trannies & primaries. I won't get into wheither these are any good or not but they are a basic motor oil with nothing earth shaking going on with either. If you check a viscosity chart these shake out as a 50 Weight oil with a viscosity @ 100 C / 212 F of 19.3 - 20.1.

As a comparison:
Mobil 1 20-50 - Viscosity @ 100 C / 212 F = 19.9
Mobil 1 10-40 - Viscosity @ 100 C / 212 F = 13.8
Spectro 6 speed 75-140 - Viscosity @ 100 C / 212 F = 24.8

From what I've read & found on researching the oil stuff, the engineers etc that build mechanical things that require lubrication have an ideal viscosity range at 100 C / 212 F of approx. 10 for a water cooled engine & drive train ( what you find in most passenger cars/trucks and in a lot of motorcycles ) and for an air cooled engine & drive train the ideal viscosity range at 100 C / 212 F is approx. 20.

I've satisfied my curiosity with the oil stuff and I'll move onto something else.

I am currently using these in my bikes, hope they are fine in the new Bagger...

Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 20w50 V-twin
HD Formula + in the primary
Quaker State Full Synthetic 75W/140 GL-5 in tranny

I would be using Spectro oils, but since I live 4,000 miles from civilization, availability and cost limit my choices.

My Springer now has over 180,000 miles on it (yes miles not Km's) and both the engine and tranny have never been opened or replaced......YET.
(knocks on wood)

I have no reason to think I have a need to switch anything other than my primary oil, I have never had a good grasp on what fluid would be best in there... mainly because of the clutch.

Regards, Bill
Superb!

You are good with Formula+ in the primary.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Well, lets hope that nothing fails on the bike in the drivetrain / powertrain or I am going to have a fight on my hands.

So they are splitting up the warranty as to what will be covered and what won't be covered. I take it they don't agree with the engine oil and tranny oil but they will accept the formula+ in the primary. (?)

So something like an internal tranny bearing won't be covered but a worn compensator will be covered. Or a piston wrist pin won't be covered but a TPS sensor on the throttle body will?
This dealership doesn't have a clue.

Earlier you said "I live 4,000 miles from civilization". You probably don't have much of a choice where to take the bike also. Would I be correct?

My dealer is using it in all 3 holes, and when I told him I was going to be using Mobil 1 in the Engine, Formula + in the primary, and a good Synthetic 75w140 GL5 in the tranny they had a bird... I was actually told that if I do not use their Syn 3 in all three holes I would lose my warranty. So I then asked about Spectro oils/ Redline oils etc... and got the same reaction and reply.

They actually told me I didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about.... :(

Well, lets hope that nothing fails on the bike in the drivetrain / powertrain or I am going to have a fight on my hands.

I would definitely look for another dealer. They cannot tell you what you have to use as oils unless they furnish it free for you.

My dealer is using it in all 3 holes, and when I told him I was going to be using Mobil 1 in the Engine, Formula + in the primary, and a good Synthetic 75w140 GL5 in the tranny they had a bird... I was actually told that if I do not use their Syn 3 in all three holes I would lose my warranty. So I then asked about Spectro oils/ Redline oils etc... and got the same reaction and reply.

They actually told me I didn't have a clue as to what I was talking about.... :(

They are not very smart. You should refer them to the Magnuson-Moss Act. Below is a link to how AMSOIL answers the issue of whether you can use their products without fear of having warranty issues. In your case with whatever your choice of Synthetic oil (Mobil 1 or Spectro) the law applies the same. Don't let them tell you otherwise. :s

Warranties and the Magnuson-Moss Act

Does the Magnuson-Moss Act apply in Canada?

That act doesn't apply in Canada only in the US. There is no similar legislation in Canada.

Any time one uses something other than a manufacturer recommends there is going to be a fight if there is a warranty issue, especially if it is related to lack of lubrication or something similar. You may win but it most likely won't go easy.

If your concerned go with what they recommend until the warranty period is done then use what you want.

That act doesn't apply in Canada only in the US. There is no similar legislation in Canada.

This makes another question come to mind. I would also bet you must also get the bike serviced by the dealership at the proper times or else they could say "No" to a warranty claim. So doing your own oil changes even if you use the fluids they want,,,a self performed Stage 1,,,Indy tire changes,,,a piggy fueler or any modifications etc would also be out of the question.

Glider,,, So that's why my local dealership flips the "Welcome" sign to "CLOSED" when I pull in the parking lot?:D

Back