free website stats program Mobil 1 Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Mobil 1 Question

I change my oil and filter every 5000 miles. When I change my engine oil I only put 3 1/2 qts in, a couple of thousand miles later I dump the other 1/2 qt in.
kemo

I did decide and have seen independent lab reports to back it up.
Using Mobil 1 15W-50 in Harley-Davidsons

The link above is to Mobil 1 rather than an independent lab. HD indicates that if you can not find a 20W-50 motorcycle engine oil, then an oil manufactured for diesels can be used until the motorcycle engine oil can be located. So even HD says that an oil like the 15W-50 can be used in a HD engine if required.

But the question I would have is what is the logic for using the 15W-50 engine oil primarily designed for use in diesel engines as opposed to the 20W-50 VTwin motorcycle engine oil designed for use in air cooled v-twin engines like HD engines?

TQ

The link above is to Mobil 1 rather than an independent lab. HD indicates that if you can not find a 20W-50 motorcycle engine oil, then an oil manufactured for diesels can be used until the motorcycle engine oil can be located. So even HD says that an oil like the 15W-50 can be used in a HD engine if required.

But the question I would have is what is the logic for using the 15W-50 engine oil primarily designed for use in diesel engines as opposed to the 20W-50 VTwin motorcycle engine oil designed for use in air cooled v-twin engines like HD engines?

TQ
The link I provided was merely to show that Mobil 1 says it's fine to use. At least part of the logic to use Mobil 15-50 is that you can buy 5 qt. jugs for $21 at Walmart. That's $4.20/qt. vs. $8 plus.
Here's a copy of a Used Oil Analysis by Blackstone Labs. This bike is regularly ridden in 100 degree plus temps. (Phoenix)
BTW I'm not touting this oil just offering it as an alternative. I currently use Amsoil but bought some to try at next oil change.
Post won't allow me to copy the analysis. I'll try another post.

TQ
Wouldn't let me post the analysis. PM sent.

Last edited by a moderator:

TQ

TQ, you must be riding a Harley made by a different Company than the one I ride. My manual does not specify only 20-50 oil. It specifies everything from 10W40 to 20W50 to SAE 50 and SAE60. All depending upon your lowest anticipated temp. Granted it does show 20/50 as preferred but nowhere does it state V- twin oil. It does state diesel rated oil which Mobil 1 15/50 does meet.

TQ, you must be riding a Harley made by a different Company than the one I ride. My manual does not specify only 20-50 oil. It specifies everything from 10W40 to 20W50 to SAE 50 and SAE60. All depending upon your lowest anticipated temp. Granted it does show 20/50 as preferred but nowhere does it state V- twin oil. It does state diesel rated oil which Mobil 1 15/50 does meet.

Yes you're right. I live and ride in Texas, so we have ambient temps. in above 40* F most of the time.

But it is your bike. Use whatever you want in it.

TQ

Back