free website stats program Mobil 1, 15w50? | Harley Davidson Forums

Mobil 1, 15w50?

09GLDR

Hey guys, had a guy request his 10k service on a 09 Ultra classic yesterday and brought in/said it would be ok to put mobil 1 15w50 in his motor and primary. I told him I've never ran it or recommended it to anyone else, he insisted that it would be fine. I have my reservations about it but I have no history with this oil in bikes. Any concerns about that, or is it ok?

Many use it but the 20/50 is better in the air cooled engines. The additives are different. It's his bike and if he feels comfortable with it then use it.

ok, I've read all the oil post here (and there is plenty of them) and never really saw anything about that oil, so was just wondering. Thanks glider.

20/50 will break down some with the heat of the air cooled engines, The 15/50 was made for water cooled cars not air cooled bikes.

I use the Mobile 1 V-twin 20-50 and like it but wouldn't use it in the primary. I use HD primary oil in the primary.
It's cheaper and works well.

It is just an opinion but I mean these words. I would not use Mobile 1 if it was Free. I have had just too many bad experiences with that oil.

Answer me this one question.
What is maximum oil temp you will ever see in an engine like ours? Tops Maybe 300-325?
At the same time, I remember seeing Mobil 1 TV commercials where they put some 10w20/30 in a frying pan and cooked it to like 400 degrees and it was still going strong. So how is it a 15/50 will break down under the heat of an air cooled engine.
If it is so good, why is it breaking down at 325 degrees.

I just don't understand.

Hoop!

It is just an opinion but I mean these words. I would not use Mobile 1 if it was Free. I have had just too many bad experiences with that oil.

Answer me this one question.
What is maximum oil temp you will ever see in an engine like ours? Tops Maybe 300-325?
At the same time, I remember seeing Mobil 1 TV commercials where they put some 10w20/30 in a frying pan and cooked it to like 400 degrees and it was still going strong. So how is it a 15/50 will break down under the heat of an air cooled engine.
If it is so good, why is it breaking down at 325 degrees.

I just don't understand.

Hoop!

That's because you're a Hoop! :lolrolling

Back