free website stats program Mix Dunlop with Metzler ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Mix Dunlop with Metzler ?

I have 2008 Harley Ultra classic and I needed a new rear tire took it to local Harley dealer and the Meltzer I had has been discontinued so I had a Dunlop 402 put on will it matter that the front tire is Metzler 880.Thanks for any info.

Most will tell you not to mix tire brands, but I have over the years with no adverse effects.

I think the d402 is a cross ply/bias tyre and the me 880 is a radial tyre
cross ply have a very firm sidewall and the radial has a soft sidewall that is why radial tyres need higher pressures they work completely differently as they contact the road
I would not mix the two tyre construction types on a car let alone on a bike however there are people that will do anything to save a few pennies
Your ride you decide

Brian

The me 880 does seem to be available as a bias or radial in the same sizes if it has a B in the tyre size marked on the tyre it will be a bias tyre

Brian

I have a Michelin Commander on the back and a Dunlop on the front. Rides great.

Was replacing the rearDunlop tire every 12 months (yes I ride a lot). Put on the Michelin in Jan 2014 and it still looks new. I have noticed no handling difference.

So yes I agree....you ride you decide.

If one rides pretty much straight up and down, mixing manufacturers shouldn't be an issue. If one is mixing bias and radial, the bias would be best on the front and the radial rear.

However, if one is a fairly aggressive rider and actually activates the sidewall of the tires when cornering, the best approach is a matched set of tires from the same manufacturer. The last thing one wants when riding aggressively if to have the front end acting one way and the rear end another, which will happen if the tire combination is bias/radial and is likely to happen if both tires are bias or radial but from different manufacturers.

So, if one is dragging stuff when cornering, particularly if trail braking and a lot of lean angle is being used, best to run a matched set of tires; same manufacturer and same construction.:s

Look at your rear tire; if the wear is predominantly in the center of the tire, there will be "chicken strips" of no wear on from the edge of the center out on to the sidewall. If this is the case, don't worry too much about running a matched set of tires. However, if there are no "chicken strips" or very narrow ones, that means the sidewall is being activated in cornering and it becomes more important to run a matched set of tires.:coffee

Look at your rear tire; if the wear is predominantly in the center of the tire, there will be "chicken strips" of no wear on from the edge of the center out on to the sidewall. If this is the case, don't worry too much about running a matched set of tires. However, if there are no "chicken strips" or very narrow ones, that means the sidewall is being activated in cornering and it becomes more important to run a matched set of tires.:coffee

That's how it is on my OEM Dunlops and I just decided to get new CommanderII's for the front and rear even though the front has plenty of tread. I'm hoping that they will stick better and give me more confidence to corner and use the whole tire.

Back