free website stats program Missouri Helmet Law??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Missouri Helmet Law???

09GLDR

Anyone have any info. on where our helmet law is at? I keep getting mixed info. And from time to time I'm noticing riders not wearing them..Thanks guys.

Anyone have any info. on where our helmet law is at? I keep getting mixed info. And from time to time I'm noticing riders not wearing them..Thanks guys.

Just down I-44 from ya in Bourbon ---- As it stands right now - Helmet required. There was talk about doing away with it because of our joining states , Ks. & ILL., don't have the law ( another reason you see riders without brain-buckets on) but it was said that if the state of Mo. did away with the law it would lose some of the fed. grants for the hwys.,bridges and a couple others. At least this is what I'm hearing.

Just down I-44 from ya in Bourbon ---- As it stands right now - Helmet required. There was talk about doing away with it because of our joining states , Ks. & ILL., don't have the law ( another reason you see riders without brain-buckets on) but it was said that if the state of Mo. did away with the law it would lose some of the fed. grants for the hwys.,bridges and a couple others. At least this is what I'm hearing.

Well, that would explain the condition of the highways in Ill...Hey Lewis you going to the Hawgs for Dogs poker run at Bourbese Valley HD this Sat.? Maybe I'll see ya there! I'm ridin a 09 SG vivid blk 21' rim on front with apes.

Latetest News ------- As of 4-29-09 - the House and Senate here in Mo. have passed a revision of the helmet law. It states that you MUST to wear a helmet if you are under 21 yrs. of age , If you ride on any Interstate Hwy. ( I-44,I-70,I-55,etc.) in Mo. you MUST wear a helmet, any other highway's and bi-way's you DO NOT HAVE to wear one. The Gov. must now sign the revision for it to take effect,not sure when this will happen!? If I read(what I have found so far) the revision correctly --- I would still be careful with the state / local LEO's -- because the way it's worded -- " after 5 years the helmet law will no longer be in effect" So my questions are - Can they still give you a ticket for not wearing one before the 5 years? And after the 5 year time frame is up -Can we ride the Interstate Hwy's without a helmet or the under 21 group will not have to wear one?????? I am going to look for the complete revised bill and read it front to back !! :unsure

Missouri state motorcycle laws

Road

Safety Helmet Required by law
State Funded Rider Ed Available for all eligible applicants

Eye Protection Not Required
Daytime Use of Headlight Modulating headlight permitted

Passenger Seat Not Required
Passenger Footrest Not Required

Passenger Age Restriction None
Helmet Speakers No Restrictions

Periodic Safety Inspection Required by law
Mirror Left(L) Right(R) None Required

Radar Detector No Restriction
Turn Signals Not Required

Muffler No acoustical criteria.
Maximum Sound Level No acoustical criteria.

State Insurance Requirements Compulsory Liability (Minimum Limits)(25/50/10)
Handlebar Height Maximum of 15" above seat - Required by inspection regulations

Rider-Education Waiver Skill Test
Accept Motorcycle Endorsement From Other States Yes

Accept RiderEd Completion Card From Other States N/A
Motorcycles operating two abreast in same lane Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes

Lane Splitting Not referenced in Administrative Code or Statutes
Lemon Law Coverage No; Missouri (MO) Lemon Law - Missouri Revised Statutes, sections 407.560 - 407.579 -

Unless the Gov signs the bill with an emergency clause, the bill, if passed, will likely go into effect on Aug 28th. My understanding of the bill as it is now - Interstate highways will require a helmet, secondary roads won't require a helmet. Everyone under 21 will need to wear a helmet.

Last edited:
well thanks for the heads up, and either way yall be safe and ride hard! Cant wait to get back home and see the wife and kid then jump on that bike and go for a nice ride.

Back